Qb carbon ram air airbox 4xv 5jj r1 will it fit a r1 5pw?

3tj6

As title does anybody know if it fits and works on a r1 5pw? 🤷‍♂️Where’s marcaztls when you need him ? 

Off the top of my head I'd say it's unlikely to fit, the 4xv uses carbs and the 5pw is fuel injected, a quick look at both the 4xv and the 5pw airboxes on fleabay shows that they're differently shaped and as far as I'm aware they also have different frames. 

Is there any particular reason you want to go down the ram air route? Apparently setting up a 4xv with one is a bitch of a job and I can't imagine that it'll be that much different on the 5pw. 

Never heard of anyone doing it. That's not to say it can't be done. 

5pw frame is similar to 4xv/5jj. They share many common parts. It was more about chassis geometry than anything else. They went for evolution rather than evolution. 

I'd go for a decent pipe, air filter and power commander. That should see you near 150bhp at the wheel. Mine is 148. Or was last time in the dyno. 

A bit of head work and cams should get you maybe near 160. 

Decent 4xv's were up over 170bhp, the V&M bikes even more apparently so big numbers must be possible. 

Get hold of a copy of April 2013 PB, it has an article on the Virgin bikes.

They made their own air scoop.

Edited by Thunderbolt
Spelling

9 hours ago, trackdaybob said:

5pw frame is similar to 4xv/5jj. They share many common parts. It was more about chassis geometry than anything else. They went for evolution rather than evolution. 

I'd go for a decent pipe, air filter and power commander. That should see you near 150bhp at the wheel. Mine is 148. Or was last time in the dyno. 

Decent 4xv's were up over 170bhp, the V&M bikes even more apparently so big numbers must be possible. 

My mates 2000 bike was 191hp but that was bored / stroked / ram aired by EDR in the states.

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

Get hold of a copy of April 2013 PB, it has an article on the Virgin bikes.

They made their own air scoop.

Have you got a copy to scan ? 

It’s ok , i have been rooting through my old copies and found it 😊👍

On 3/3/2022 at 10:43 PM, trackdaybob said:

I think mine deserves a bit of a lift.

I've got an Arrow full system to go on.  It's in bits again at the minute for another gearbox issue. I reckon it'd be worth doing something to it while it's in component form!

• 3 weeks later...

My V and M built 98 was 179 rwhp but on flatslides. Same engine was 160 with properly set up ram air. On the same dyno Glen Richards superstock R1 was 169 but was a far newer model.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sonic said:

My V and M built 98 was 179 rwhp but on flatslides. Same engine was 160 with properly set up ram air. On the same dyno Glen Richards superstock R1 was 169 but was a far newer model.

Fuckin hell!!!! :o  

How are you fella?? 

Hope all is well. 

Was a lovely thing that R1 of yours. 

38 minutes ago, sonic said:

Didn’t you have a trick 3tj with a 660 in also? 

On 3/22/2022 at 9:27 PM, trackdaybob said:

Fuckin hell!!!! :o  

How are you fella?? 

Hope all is well. 

Was a lovely thing that R1 of yours. 

I'm fine Bob thanks. You racing again this year ?

On 3/22/2022 at 9:59 PM, 3tj6 said:

Didn’t you have a trick 3tj with a 660 in also? 

Yes sold that too. Could have sold it 5 times over.

10 minutes ago, sonic said:

I'm fine Bob thanks. You racing again this year ?

I will be at some point. Currently recovering from a replacement hip op. Should be back out in the summer I hope. 

2 hours ago, trackdaybob said:

I will be at some point. Currently recovering from a replacement hip op. Should be back out in the summer I hope. 

Didn't think you were that old or is it the crashing ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sonic said:

Didn't think you were that old or is it the crashing ?

Both probably :lol:

I had arthritis in my hip. To bad for repair so it was replaced in January. No idea how it got so bad but had to be fixed. 

• 1 month later...

Its ok i have some pictures of the virgin bsb bikes ramair airbox and will be making a copy, in the winter, in the mean time i have opened up the standard airbox it now has a 110 mm x55 mm duct fitted 😊👍

• Like 1