FAKES - Specifically Brembo RCS and Ohlins Steering Dampers

Novarally

I know there have been fakes of various 'trick' bike bits - I've heard of Brembo calipers being done, and I know for a fact that the Brembo RCS master cylinder has been faked (I consciously bought a really cheap fake one just so I could compare it to a genuine one I had).

But now I'm wondering about Ohlins steering dampers.............have they been faked to anyone's certain knowledge?

I've just bought one (secondhand) from Ebay, with a Daytona 675 fitting kit, and I'm just a little bit suspicious of it being genuine. I have got another Ohlins damper here, which I believe is a genuine one. 

There are subtle differences between the 2, but that could jut be down to when each was manufactured.

Cue the Forum knowledge......

Difficult to say without pics. On a side note my 3 Superdukes were all made in 2017 and bought new within a month from the same dealer  - yet there are clear detail differences in wiring, some minor fixtures and parts between the three.

Edited by marvin

Weren't the OEM steering dampers that came on various bikes a bit lower in quality than the proper aftermarket Ohlins, just like the rear shocks tended to be?

Perhaps it's just down to that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damnthistinleg said:

Weren't the OEM steering dampers that came on various bikes a bit lower in quality than the proper aftermarket Ohlins, just like the rear shocks tended to be?

Perhaps it's just down to that.

Could be, it's a good point.

I'll post up some pics and see if that helps

OK, so this is the damper I got with the fitting kit for the Daytona 675;

ohlins1ohlins2

I have absolutely no evidence that it's fake, I'm just a bit sceptical now after other experience.

And this is the other Ohlins damper I have, which is slightly different, and which I believe to be genuine (which is based mostly on the fact it's paired with Harris bits 🙃)

ohlins5ohlins4ohlins3

17 minutes ago, 426hemi said:

Packaging is also a good giveaway, Ohlins and brembo come in quality packaging and brembo now have the ID cards.

Yep, I'm aware of the Brembo ID cards.

You're right though, the fake Brembo RCS I bought had shocking quality packaging - a very pale imitation of the real thing.

No original packaging with either of the Ohlins I bought, so I can't comment there.

33 minutes ago, marvin said:

Well they look similar. Does the new possible fake weigh the same as the believed genuine one?

Good question. I haven't weighed them, but we have the technology

I was under the impression that the ones that come as OE fitment have the body fitting point cast into the damper rather than a removable bracket like both of those so that rules it being one of those out?

11 hours ago, ilovetzr250s said:

Check for the presence or quality of the batch and part number?

https://www.ohlins.com/recall/motorcycle-aftermarket-steering-damper-recall/

Now that is very interesting, thanks.

The 'old' damper I have has a code stamped on it. The one I've just bought off Ebay has no markings on it anywhere;

IMG_9491

BTW, the photo is taken with both dampers placed in the same orientation.

Edited by Novarally

Now watching a YouTube video from Parkitt Suspension on fake Ohlins dampers..........and he specifically mentions that ALL Ohlins dampers have an ID code

Edited by Novarally
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Novarally said:

Now watching a YouTube video from Parkitt Suspension on fake Ohlins dampers..........and he specifically mentions that ALL Ohlins dampers have an ID code

Yes, that is indeed correct. No code, almost definitely a fake.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, marvin said:

Well they look similar. Does the new possible fake weigh the same as the believed genuine one?

I am convinced it's a fake. There's no ID code on it, it weighs about 50g LESS than the genuine article, and the knurled adjuster knob is anodised aluminium.

Those seem to be brass on the real thing. Plus the action of it is very 'notchy' - not at all smooth as you would expect.

2 minutes ago, Novarally said:

I am convinced it's a fake. There's no ID code on it, it weighs about 50g LESS than the genuine article, and the knurled adjuster knob is anodised aluminium.

Those seem to be brass on the real thing. Plus the action of it is very 'notchy' - not at all smooth as you would expect.

I'd go with fake based on that then.

The body design changed subtly over time like their rear shocks, and there are slight variations between OEM and direct purchase in both quality of finish, materials and construction depending on what Triumph specified for their OEM component spec.

If in doubt send it away to an ohlins centre to get refurbished and serviced and they'll soon tell you if its fucked or fake.

If fake throw it back on ebay. Don't list it as ohlins, just put aftermarket performance damper and some pictures with an economic description and let the prospective buyer talk himself into believing it is what it is.

That way you can say he was never deceived and the buyer can never accuse you of miss-selling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sev said:

The body design changed subtly over time like their rear shocks, and there are slight variations between OEM and direct purchase in both quality of finish, materials and construction depending on what Triumph specified for their OEM component spec.

If in doubt send it away to an ohlins centre to get refurbished and serviced and they'll soon tell you if its fucked or fake.

If fake throw it back on ebay. Don't list it as ohlins, just put aftermarket performance damper and some pictures with an economic description and let the prospective buyer talk himself into believing it is what it is.

That way you can say he was never deceived and the buyer can never accuse you of miss-selling.

If sent for official service and a fake (most likely), then common practice is that it’s decommisioned without refund. A fake part is not only fraud, but also a potential liability that someone like øhlins (or any other OEM) cannot allow.

24 minutes ago, RonniB said:

If sent for official service and a fake (most likely), then common practice is that it’s decommisioned without refund. A fake part is not only fraud, but also a potential liability that someone like øhlins (or any other OEM) cannot allow.

but at least he will know.

And if it's fake it most likely will be of questionable build quality anyway, so would you trust it when the chips were down?

Bit like having a mag wheel refurbed and being rung up and told it's going in the skip as it's cracked. Sorry.

We all make those purchases that in one way or another we learn the hard way about, and have nobody but ourselves to blame so chalk it down to experience, and keep our eyes open and ask the right questions the next time.

• Like 2

TBH I'd inform eBay and get your money back, or at the worst, scrap it.

I couldn't live with myself knowing that someone could be taking a risk and the damned thing locking up, sending the rider into oncoming traffic or whatever. 

And if discovered that someone knowingly did such a trick to me, I'd shit in their slippers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Before you get the pitchforks out, contact the seller and ask for a refund.

Dont show him the back to back photos he could decide you've swapped them.

Edited by Evilchicken0
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 8:03 PM, sev said:

but at least he will know.

And if it's fake it most likely will be of questionable build quality anyway, so would you trust it when the chips were down?

Bit like having a mag wheel refurbed and being rung up and told it's going in the skip as it's cracked. Sorry.

We all make those purchases that in one way or another we learn the hard way about, and have nobody but ourselves to blame so chalk it down to experience, and keep our eyes open and ask the right questions the next time.

Fully agree, I have got my fair share of dodgy ebay deals. It was to inform the OP, that if it goes for a check up, it only comes back if it’s the real deal, otherwise treat it as a write off

• Like 1

Just a thought on the damper, we’re some fitted to some bikes as OEM parts?

my mates Panigale S has a steering damper and it doesn’t have an ohlins sticker

Edited by Thunderbolt
Fitted

So we're concerned about... "Fauxlins"?

Ahem.

I went and looked at both the Ohlins dampers I have on bikes:

1. Ducati 996 Biposto with what I believe is an OEM fitment Ohlins damper from a higher trim level bike, bought used nearly 10 years ago. Doesn't have a stamp on it.

2. Ducati Monster S4R with an aftermarket Ohlins side mount damper kit, also bought used. Has a stamp on the body in the same location as @Novarally's.

On 12/8/2021 at 8:59 AM, Thunderbolt said:

Just a thought on the damper, we’re some fitted to some bikes as OEM parts?

my mates Panigale S has a steering damper and it doesn’t have an ohlins sticker

As I posted earlier, they normally have a fixed boss rather than a removable bracket.(they have very little damping as standard but can be revalved so they perform the same as the aftermarket versions)

• 2 weeks later...

The ones on wish at the minute (£71 delivered) have a crappy knurled adjuster

5f4b117703ea172c7dfa4cd9-large.jpg.1863321f82aa25f48787e93118918c22.jpg

OK, not ohlins but 

fake.jpg.e48fc7c6e717bdf7c6c2044d68ec31aa.jpgbox.jpg.3f909b91dd926f5bfce6487c34563441.jpg

My mate bought one of these copys just to see.(not his pics but same thing) Original is £400 , Wish is £35.53. Box is branded but unless you had the original box, its passable.

Could I interest sir in some engine casing protectors ?  £150+ for genuine or £59 delivered from china

fake2.jpg.b32dd12bdae0b8ec598d3b9e5c1311d2.jpg

Its no help, but wish is a rabbithole you can disappear down for the straaaaaangest of stuff.... 

Edited by Pierre
idiot
  • Like 1