Motorcycle Grand Prix 2021

ovi

3 hours ago, Evilchicken0 said:

Is Marquez missing the Qatar test a new thing ???

2 hours ago, oggy411 said:

Thought he was likely to miss the start of the season at least. 

Last I read he would definitely miss the pre-season testing, would possibly miss the opening two rounds as they're back to back Qatar (whether this is entirely down to fitness or in part due to Qatar's covid quarantine measures I'm unsure) I suppose it's entirely possible he gets into Qatar ahead of time to attempt racing at Qatar 2, the first race after that is Portimao.

I think it's fair to say given his racing career is probably at stake if he comes back from this one too soon and it goes wrong that he'll not be so hasty this time but then again... 🤷‍♂️

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gobert

• ovi

• Evilchicken0

• Basil

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dovizioso on a Honda? Someone please have first responders on standby to conduct a wellness check on poor fontyyyyy if it gets announced.

Can you do this with your arms Marc? Didn't think so. Twat.

Alexa, show me 'imminent disappointment '.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Basil said:

Last I read he would definitely miss the pre-season testing, would possibly miss the opening two rounds as they're back to back Qatar (whether this is entirely down to fitness or in part due to Qatar's covid quarantine measures I'm unsure) I suppose it's entirely possible he gets into Qatar ahead of time to attempt racing at Qatar 2, the first race after that is Portimao.

I think it's fair to say given his racing career is probably at stake if he comes back from this one too soon and it goes wrong that he'll not be so hasty this time but then again... 🤷‍♂️

If ever there was a rider who didn’t know how to ride at 99%. 
I reckon he’ll retire himself with the next accident. 

37 minutes ago, oggy411 said:

If ever there was a rider who didn’t know how to ride at 99%. 
I reckon he’ll retire himself with the next accident. 

Well many said he'll spanner himself good and proper one day riding as he did and it took about 5 years despite some unexaggeratedly huge ones in that time, he could go another 5 with the same luck TBH, the only real question I have is was this an career altering riding style number?

He already had both shoulders operated on as his arms kept popping out, given how many crashes he saves a race weekend will he have to stop himself trying to catch them all in case his arm goes ping? For example.

I've no idea; no doubt the talented little fucker could just turn up and Molly wop everyone again; I do think when big name riders have a biggie and come back other riders smell blood in water and try and impose themselves more (at least initially)

Edited by Basil
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Basil said:

Well many said he'll spanner himself good and proper one day riding as he did and it took about 5 years despite some unexaggeratedly huge ones in that time, he could go another 5 with the same luck TBH, the only real question I have is was this an career altering riding style number?

He already had both shoulders operated on as his arms kept popping out, given how many crashes he saves a race weekend will he have to stop himself trying to catch them all in case his arm goes ping? For example.

I've no idea; no doubt the talented little fucker could just turn up and Molly wop everyone again; I do think when big name riders have a biggie and come back other riders smell blood in water and try and impose themselves more (at least initially)

I was concerned Rossi's ugly leg break would cause him to change also.............but,as has been discussed,that doesnt seem to be the way top sports achievers are wired.

• Like 1
Damnthistinleg
On 2/24/2021 at 6:37 PM, trebup said:

I was concerned Rossi's ugly leg break would cause him to change also.............but,as has been discussed,that doesnt seem to be the way top sports achievers are wired.

Well, while it wasn't necessarily responsible, he certainly didn't win a championship after it had happened.

Evilchicken0
1 hour ago, Damnthistinleg said:

Well, while it wasn't necessarily responsible, he certainly didn't win a championship after it had happened.

He went to Ducati after that, which has more to do with not winning than his leg.  

• Like 2
Damnthistinleg
2 hours ago, Evilchicken0 said:

He went to Ducati after that, which has more to do with not winning than his leg.  

I know but it's not quite the point I was making.

The real point was that although we can speculate on the reasons for winning/not winning until the cows come home, the only true fact was that he didn't win after breaking his leg.

Personally, I think he possibly could have had a total of 11 or maybe even 12 championships under his belt if he'd not broken it but that would also have needed him to stay at Yamaha throughout.

All speculation of course and completely pointless since history is what history is.

My faint memory was similar that Jorge really got going when Rossi had his first "proper" injury spannering his leg so I had a google and was wrong Jorge was on a roll already (although my memory of that weekend was Rossi looking good and fast up until that point and Jorge was a bit off it but ICBW)

So I played the hypothetical game Rossi missed four rounds and his average that season was 3rd place so I generously added four 3rds to Rossi's tally and he still finishes about 90 points shy of Jorge (albeit now ahead of Pedrosa into 2nd) although Pedrosa's season got spannered by injury too (IIRC he was looking more likely to pinch it off Jorge)

The only other thing I recall was Rossi borking his shoulder which really buggered him more so than the leg but I can't recall if that was the same season and he carried it into Ducati or his second Ducati year :eusa_think:  

Anyhoo it's ancient geography now.

Evilchicken0

Rossi did beat Jorge in the same season after he broke his leg ... Japan I think. Jorge complained about it of course. 

6 hours ago, Basil said:

pinch it off Jorge

Sage advise 😉

• Like 1
Damnthistinleg
7 hours ago, Basil said:

So I played the hypothetical game Rossi missed four rounds and his average that season was 3rd place so I generously added four 3rds to Rossi's tally and he still finishes about 90 points shy of Jorge (albeit now ahead of Pedrosa into 2nd) although Pedrosa's season got spannered by injury too (IIRC he was looking more likely to pinch it off Jorge)

I think the most important factor is that Jorge had a very good run against injured and unwell opponents that year, so his points tally was arguably artificially high. If Rossi and Pedrosa had not been hobbled, I very much doubt Lorenzo would have had the same number of wins. Stoner didn't feature very much on the Duck of death either for much of the season.

It's all academic of course. You've simply got to be in it to win it and as last year showed, it doesn't matter how good you are, you're not going to win anything if you're sitting at home with broken bones. Staying fit is just as important as staying fast.

• Like 4