RGV250K - 30 years in the making.

PBChris
On 5/30/2020 at 9:42 PM, Ray Von said:

Also an holy grail uncut rear mudguard. 

But does it have the little flap that covers the coolant overflow filler? The hole always irritated me. Not enough to actually do anything other than refit the seat and ignore it though.

Regarding worn powervalves, I'd replace the pin, arm, shaft, and I think there's a little bush too. Mine had a little wear in each part: just enough to allow the bottom cylinder's valves to sag in, piston catch them, send them out of the exhaust thankfully... Repaired the cylinder, and all was well with new lifting gear in.

PBChris
On 5/27/2020 at 7:39 AM, Ray Von said:

check the gearbox, as they jump out of 2nd when worn and accelerating hard) 

The Ellis-Moore tall 1st gear gives 2nd an easier time by reducing the jump/torque shock, and makes it nicer to ride without the clunk in to second, if you don't mind more slipping to get away. Makes it easier to use on track too. You only need one gear so it's not drastically expensive either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Ray Von

Quick update really, not done too much lately, but saw that Tyga are making VJ21 screen braces out of ally, be a nice enhancement I reckon. 

Sort of looking at what I can improve, there are a number of items in carbon and ally that would replace a steel or a plastic part, think it would be a nice exercise in old & new tech. 

2020-06-25_10-57-21

Edited by Ray Von
  • Like 4
  • 7 months later...
Ray Von

I'm selling my spare frame VJ21 wolf and swingarm, it's on ebay at moment to try and clear some space out, due to deciding to build a bigger shed (hence the delay in my project). 

Once I have completed that, hopefully May, I can then start on the Rgv again. 

johnnymack63
17 hours ago, Ray Von said:

I'm selling my spare frame VJ21 wolf and swingarm, it's on ebay at moment to try and clear some space out, due to deciding to build a bigger shed (hence the delay in my project). 

@Monkey

• Like 1
Tom Mac
19 hours ago, Ray Von said:

Even with this hiatus it will probably be finished before @johnnymack63's RGV :pokeit::D

• Confused 1
  • 1 month later...
Ray Von

Another update, the engine is going off next week to be rebuilt, but....... as a 325cc conversion. 

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
Ray Von
Posted (edited)

So I have some gratuitous crank shots, and it's not brilliant news, but to be fair, I wouldn't be happy 'not' having the crank rebuilt. 

2021-04-05_03-24-58

But give me an opportunity to have the 2mm thicker rods to hold on to the bigger pistons now

2021-04-05_03-25-13

In this shot you can see the fatter conrods. 

2021-04-05_03-25-27

Happier this thing will be more resilient with a big oomph in more midrange and power everywhere, probably looking at a good reliable 70 - 74 bhp once done

2021-04-05_03-24-41

Edited by Ray Von
Missed pic
  • Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...