RD350LC crank rebuild

DougW

Looking for recommendations for having the crank re done on the LC.

Started it for the first time today, mains sound grumbly and engine generally noisier than I remember them.

Long time ago Terry Shepherd (RIP) used to do them for me, he used Grampians equipment but reckoned cranks for race use where better trued to a higher standard than the usual “ok” tolerance.

I am located in the Burton on Trent area, PJME , Fahron (think Fahron still going) , Norbo are localish to me as I would prefer to drop it off and pick it up than rely on posting.

Anyone any experience/suggestions?

Grampians is who I use and supplies me with all the parts too. Fahron will have it done in about 10years so don't bother with them. Grampians have a very good turnaround as well but you need too be a trade customer.

• Thanks 1

Another vote for Grampians....I've always been happy with the stuff they have done for me (including my long rod RG500 cranks) plus the turn around is good. One of the nice things is that Jim actually checks and replies to his emails.... sales@grampianmotors.co.uk 

Dan 🙂

Grampians or PJME for me too. 

Derek Huxley can do them but it's a bit of a wait, or racing lines in Derby (but I've only used them for tz stuff) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 9:50 PM, 2Smoke said:

Grampians or PJME for me too. 

Derek Huxley can do them but it's a bit of a wait, or racing lines in Derby (but I've only used them for tz stuff) 

Do Racing Lines do cranks in-house or farm them out ?

They are pretty much on my doorstep and Rob seems a good bloke.

22 minutes ago, DougW said:

AFAIK they do them in house. Pretty sure of it, fast turnaround too. 

Slightly expensive for something that lasts 1000 miles but that's the joy of it I guess 😁 they sent me all the old parts too so I've got some nice ornaments. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/13/2020 at 6:03 PM, DougW said:

I'm seeing him tomorrow, I'll ask.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 9:04 AM, Gixxerthou said:

He sends them offsite for the work for info.

Just spoke to the bloke who does the cranks for Racing Lines. 

Really helpful and knowledgeable .

He prefers the work to be sent via Rob at Racing lines, with Racing Lines supplying all the parts.

So crank off to Racing Lines as soon as I get chance.

It`s not a happy crank, I think the bike was parked up just before the engine grenaded.Flywheel side main and big end shot.

Engine Re-built previously by an ape(s), clutch was falling off, locking washer on backward, locking nothing.Chisel marks on clutch nut , thread on primary gear end of thread dented on the end.

Gears seem ok though, fitting new gearbox bearings as a precaution. 

Bores on 0.5, no recent damage or wear but 0.5 has not cleared previous blow ups and some damage to transfers.

Edited by DougW
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DougW said:

Just spoke to the bloke who does the cranks for Racing Lines. 

Really helpful and knowledgeable .

He prefers the work to be sent via Rob at Racing lines, with Racing Lines supplying all the parts.

So crank off to Racing Lines as soon as I get chance.

It`s not a happy crank, I think the bike was parked up just before the engine grenaded.Flywheel side main and big end shot.

Engine Re-built previously by an ape(s), clutch was falling off, locking washer on backward, locking nothing.Chisel marks on clutch nut , thread on primary gear end of thread dented on the end.

Gears seem ok though, fitting new gearbox bearings as a precaution. 

Bores on 0.5, no recent damage or wear but 0.5 has not cleared previous blow ups and some damage to transfers.

"Chisel marks on clutch nut" Oh dear. Whats wrong with a flat head screwdriver through the basket to hold it  and a big adjustable spanner eh?  🙂

• Haha 1

Dropped off crank at Racing Lines at Lunch time.

Seemed a lot busier than when I was last there about 15 years ago !

• 5 months later...

Crank is sat in nice vapour blasted bottom end , all new gearbox bearings. 

Re sleeved barrels, new pistons  and skimmed head due back from pjme on Wednesday. 

Blue smoke at Christmas ?

• Like 9