Suzuki GP100 Tell me everything

Thunderbolt

A friends son has got one, I haven't seen it yet.

Mag wheels, disc brake and spare engine.

I had one, didn't we all, but that was many moons ago.

Can any one remember mag wheels and a disc brake?

Mine had spokes and a drum.

I cut back the disc, made a spanny, advanced the timing.

I remember the mag did a project.

the PB GP100:

RD125LC forks, Micron forkbrace, Allspeed exhaust, Dymag wheels, Meadspeed fairing, can't remember anything else

10326d1415113105-suzuki-ax100-cafe-racer

Edited by Tom Mac
more details
  • Like 8

My 125 made nearly 20hp and did an unfaired indicated 160km/h

It's easy to do. 

KX80 ignition, 45º machined on inlet side of crank, epoxy to smooth the corners of the inlet tract through the cases, 28mm vm mikuni, gentle porting, you need to mill the top off the barrell and run a spacer underneath to raise the ports (might've been 7.5mm?) and then space the inlet cover off the carb or remove it. Then an RG250 (not RGV) left hand side chamber - cut open and gutted first.

GT185 front ends fit for way better forks of the era with preload spacers and heavier oil. Rear wheel, maybe aVT250 drum? Here's mine, I never got the wheel/fork upgrades done before i sold it

19980_227249816449_6586849_n.jpg?_nc_cat

Edited by nzknut
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2018 at 11:50 PM, Thunderbolt said:

A friends son has got one, I haven't seen it yet.

Mag wheels, disc brake and spare engine.

I had one, didn't we all, but that was many moons ago.

Can any one remember mag wheels and a disc brake?

Mine had spokes and a drum.

I cut back the disc, made a spanny, advanced the timing.

I remember the mag did a project.

A quick google shows spokes and drums, spokes with disc/drum and cast wheels with disc/drum, depends on year and market spec.

The wife had one with spokes and disc.drum set up. It was a great wee bike. Some utter gent pinched it from underneath her bedroom window a week before her test was due. We had to buy a CG125 as a stopgap - and that was another fun bike.

• Like 1

I bought one for commuting many years ago, loved it, 125 barrel and piston fit straight on, if you fit the 125 carb too be sure and check the plastic restrictor (stops the slide fully opening) has been removed. Bizarrely I inadvertently looked at these on Evilbay recently.

21 hours ago, kja.busa said:

I bought one for commuting many years ago, loved it, 125 barrel and piston fit straight on.

We use to do the same to the AR50, fit AR80 barrel and piston and also did the same with the AE50 - AE80. Kawasaki were good like that :ph34r:

i would really love a nice AR80 now. its the one bike i look back at my teens and have very fond memories of and it taught me lots*

* like how to bodge a kickstart shaft with stripped splines, How to repair a pulled cylinder thread bolt (use a longer bolt and put a nut on the underside of the crankcase and file a bit off that hits the flywheel), how to weld (welded the primary drive gear onto the end of the crank as it used to break apart from the power of the Autisa 93cc kit)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, jaycee said:

The bike is cool, so is your laddie's lid. Now tell him to stop being daft and put some gloves on. All that good gear and no gloves! 

This is the after first ride shot. Hence the no gloves, bike is about to be put away.

My mates lad.

Edited by Thunderbolt
Cos I am a spanner
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My mate had one when we where learning to ride, think he cut the inlet disc and did some rat tailed file bodgery on the exhaust port, ditched the head gasket and used 2 cornflake packets as a base gasket. I bought one for my Lads to learn to ride on when they where young, painted it in Hammerite black and let them loose. One thing I can remember well is managing to get it into second gear on the rear wheel, and if you've ever experiencing the massive amount of transmission slack due to a worn cushdrive you'll realise what a feat that was 😄

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jenny Pryde said:

She has perfected the race tuck already. Super cool boots!

Showed her this pic the other day and she wants another pair for her 26th B/day on Saturday 😄

Funny, just noticed this thread. Was at a mates last night, he's got one of these rusting away behind his shed, everything seems to be there apart from a number plate. Lots of added rust, might have to persuade him to let me save it. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 6/27/2020 at 8:43 AM, Alex_H said:

Funny, just noticed this thread. Was at a mates last night, he's got one of these rusting away behind his shed, everything seems to be there apart from a number plate. Lots of added rust, might have to persuade him to let me save it. 

Lots of rust=free lightening!

• Like 1

On 30/11/2018 at 1:39 PM, CRM said:

i would really love a nice AR80 now. its the one bike i look back at my teens and have very fond memories of and it taught me lots*

* like how to bodge a kickstart shaft with stripped splines, How to repair a pulled cylinder thread bolt (use a longer bolt and put a nut on the underside of the crankcase and file a bit off that hits the flywheel), how to weld (welded the primary drive gear onto the end of the crank as it used to break apart from the power of the Autisa 93cc kit)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124518163917

If you mates GP100 has had it's Brake Master cylinder cap stole, whilst living in Bedsit land; a suitable running repair can be fashioned by unscrewing the wardrobe handle from a shiite piece of 1960's melamine furniture and fixing against the remaining expansion diaphragm with naught but some handy twine.

Needless to say, this does not go down well at the local mot center, but genuinely a recommended technique that will provide many months of trouble free motorcycle shenanigans. 

:sFun_doh2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Passed my test on a Gp100 about a million years ago. Great little bikes.

35 minutes ago, laney said:

Passed my test on a Gp100 about a million years ago. Great little bikes.

Passed mine on a borrowed KC100 at about the same time, I'm not even sure if I was actually insured to ride it!

14 hours ago, Mark/Foggy said:

If you mates GP100 has had it's Brake Master cylinder cap stole, whilst living in Bedsit land; a suitable running repair can be fashioned by unscrewing the wardrobe handle from a shiite piece of 1960's melamine furniture and fixing against the remaining expansion diaphragm with naught but some handy twine.

Needless to say, this does not go down well at the local mot center, but genuinely a recommended technique that will provide many months of trouble free motorcycle shenanigans. 

:sFun_doh2:

See that’s the attitude I now take driving a shitty car. There will be very few individuals willing to steal a melamine knob. Good work in future theft prevention.

A GP100 was the first road bike i ever owned. Even with a  GP125 engine fitted it stuggled to keep up with my brothers GS125.

I eventually holed the piston on it and had to push the last 2 miles home.

My only other foray into the world of 2 strokes was a 31k ypvs a few years later. That lasted a week before it got nicked.

Only 2 stroke i currently own is a leaf blower.

• Confused 1