Injector adaptors

5 hours ago, TLRS said:

Those two outward angled bores need extending. Inside and the edge need to have the same finish it has now. The outside is less important. Does that help?

Ahhhh gotcha. Will they still line up though, if the injectors are longer? Or is the overall length the same? Ie distance from the throttle body.

• 1 month later...

Soo.. someone else with a TL has taken out his injectors. Which prompted me to look at this once again. See some options again, which I either haven't seen before or was just a sparkle at a royally inconvenient moment, then forgotten. While brushing teeth or taking a shower.. you now, those eureka moments?

Anywho, with some modding of the injector the o-ring seat could be moved a bit. This would give room for a thin walled adaptor. Most of it wouldn't be thin, but a bit of it would have to sit between the id of the full rail and the od of the injectors metal core. Which are 11mm and 8mm respectively, so wall thickness of aprox 1mm over a length of aprox 2.5mm. Which sounds way too thin, however a bit of the adaptors I had bought have a wall thickness of 0.65mm! Needs modding of the injectors, a reasonably intricate adaptor turned up and it could allow a very little bit of wiggle room on the adaptor and injector when fitted. Which might be a bad thing if it causes wear and contaminates the fuel. Which could be bad news for the injectors.

Another approach is adapting the seat on the throttlebody. At first it didn't seem the right thing to do. But looking at spray patterns, the extra distance isn't going to be a problem. Initially I thought the adaptor would have to be fitted into a rubber seal. But a bit of turned alloy could probably be glued in place or stuck in using temperature differential, or both I figure. The adaptor needed for that is much easier to make. Since it would be at the other end, it wouldn't need resisting fuel pressure. However given the space, it would be relatively chunky with 3mm wall thickness.

Easier to make, more robust, permanently fitted and a bit less risky then at fuel pressure side. Bit tired now but looks like a new plan has been successfully forged!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

At last, some pictures for you lot to gaze upon.

OEM ev1 injector on the bottom, fuel rail in the middle, WRX ev6 injector on the top.

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

OEM in situ.

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

Shorter boots, injectors closer to the intake on TLR setup.

IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1642.JPG

Adaptor throttlebody.

IMG_1639.JPG

Adaptor fuelrail.

IMG_1644.JPG

Edited by TLRS

Soo.. have been chatting a bit with the other fella. He again had chatted with some people who all seemed to have mentioned it's not going to work with the injector deeper in it's bore, as per the latest plan. If you ever worked with firefighting equipment and put a decent amount of water through a watercannon.. you know it'll get real windy as the spray takes a lot of air with it. So the more encapsulated the injector, the harder it might be to draw air with the fuel coming out. It did cross my mind before but thought the spray pulse would easily make it out.

The machining done in the TLR throttlebodies sort of supports this theory. There is a lot more of it compared to the TLS.

Once again, more ooing and aaahing required. Not too long ago I've had the injectors out of the car. They have this longer snout that puts the pintle further in the intake. This would allow for easier mixing with air once the injector sprays. There is also little reason for the air/mixture to completely leave that relatively deep bore on the TLS setup. Other then the disturbance from the spray pulse. So a long snout might also make the mixture more precise. And that is what I'm after! As the TLS can sometimes hesitate and backfire when twisting the throttle too quickly.

More searching revealed this neat green Denso injector with a snout. Which a site suggest is 440cc, just like the green TLS injectors. It's fitted to very recent cars, which ticks the tech level box. So now it's down to fitment, resistance compatibility and then maybe finding a set cheap.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm cheap at times.. I know. Cars are made by the metricfcktonnes, yet used injectors are expensive. Anyone any idea where to get a set cheap? @Cibbersicks to the batphone please! Looking for some Denso 23250-0v010. Seem to be standard fitment on:

LEXUS

ES300H

2.5L F/I Vin ELECTRIC/GAS DOHC

SCION

TC

2.5L F/I Vin  DOHC

2014-2011

TOYOTA

AVALON

2.5L F/I Vin ELECTRIC/GAS DOHC

2014-2013

TOYOTA

CAMRY

2.5L F/I Vin D ELECTRIC/GAS DOHC

2014-2012

TOYOTA

RAV4

2.5L F/I Vin  DOHC

2014-2009

TOYOTA

HIGHLANDER

2.7L F/I Vin

2014-2009

TOYOTA

SIENNA

2.7L F/I Vin

2013-2011

TOYOTA

VENZA

Edited by TLRS
On 8/7/2018 at 8:59 AM, 2moto said:

I've done some detective work on a few Ducati injectors that may be of interest. If you're on the book of fakes you can read more here: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1287093291328886&id=692918914079663

Otherwise I'll try to post more details when I get a chance from my pc. However, it was clear that the Panigale injectors are the ones to use, best spray pattern and atomization.

Interesting read that.  Would it be possible to mount the airhorns to the 999 engine or do they only really play nicely with the 1098/1198 engines?

Edited by sev
7 hours ago, sev said:

Interesting read that.  Would it be possible to mount the airhorns to the 999 engine or do they only really play nicely with the 1098/1198 engines?

It will also work on 999 engines. Just about every Ducati superbike race engine used shower head mounts, including the 999RS bikes. Adaptor dimensions would be slightly different to fit the 999 throttle bodies.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, 2moto said:

It will also work on 999 engines. Just about every Ducati superbike race engine used shower head mounts, including the 999RS bikes. Adaptor dimensions would be slightly different to fit the 999 throttle bodies.

cool beans :)

If I could ask, what would the shopping list of parts be for the conversion?

959 panigale injectors, and mounting frame

959 Trumpets

Your bespoke mounting plate you mentioned - is this to mount the 959 trumpets to the 999 throttlebodies?

:)

Edited by sev
2 hours ago, sev said:

cool beans :)

If I could ask, what would the shopping list of parts be for the conversion?

959 panigale injectors, and mounting frame

959 Trumpets

Your bespoke mounting plate you mentioned - is this to mount the 959 trumpets to the 999 throttlebodies?

:)

Yes, those are the required parts, plus new injector connectors and a bit of fuel hose. And, yes, that's the purpose of the mounting plates. Ones for the 1098 and 1198 already exist. Ones for the 999 will need some minor changes as the throttle bodies are slightly different. Only got 749 ones on hand.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, 2moto said:

Yes, those are the required parts, plus new injector connectors and a bit of fuel hose. And, yes, that's the purpose of the mounting plates. Ones for the 1098 and 1198 already exist. Ones for the 999 will need some minor changes as the throttle bodies are slightly different. Only got 749 ones on hand.

Id be happy to purchase some off you as ill be building an engine with 749r heads at some point :)

• 2 years later...
TLRS

*cough*

Finally found and ordered a set of these extended injectors for a decent price (that's 33 euro shipped for two).

Left OEM 2 hole, right 12 hole tapered.

Denso%20EV1%20EV14%20height%20difference

Bit of a squeeze:

Denso%20extended%20EV14%20injector%20squ

Where the OEM injector is quite recessed, this protrudes very nicely!

Denso%20extended%20injector%20throttlebo

Denso%20EV1%20EV14%20connector%20differe

Looking quite promising. Fits with a little work on the rubbers. Capacity should be very close. Just needs a connector conversion it seems.

• Like 1

Que some binky boys inventiveness, a drill with a appropriate sized bit and a knife.. slicing off the rings from the rubber.

Diabolo%20rubber%20shortened.JPG

Very clean cut, happy with that. About .2mm rubber preload on the assembly. Injectors sit absolutely perfect now. Snug enough to keep their position, loose enough to rotate. Which could prove useful as I think these injectors spray angled.

Looked for the right connectors. Need a Denso connector that might be Toyota specific. Kojaycat webshop is closed, I guess.. due to looting :lol: But if I've spotted the correct connectors, the pins on the PC3 wiring harness connector might be the same. Which would mean no cutting of wires, just de-pin and fit new connector. That would be absolutely amazeballs!