Doing car owning properly

barryj

barryj

I stopped at the out of town retail place earlier in desperate need of the latest throw away electrical device (Gen 4 Apple TV), I drove there in my sorry excuse for a car (Outlandish Hybrid), on arriving I spotted this:

01AB797E-6793-4154-9812-A9C07D5CF64B_zps

Got chatting with the owner, he's owned it 20 years, keeps it in a garage, it's got 170k miles on it, rarely needs anything for an MOT, and he either services it himself, or gets the local garage to do it annually, we really are getting it all wrong, and whoever invented the scrapage scheme needs to be kicked in the balls (or the Fanny).

• Like 36
  • Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• barryj

• trident_special

• jaycee

• lorenzo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, this morning was fun.. I woke up wondering what the fuck I was doing looking at Ferraris. I almost cancelled the appointment and started looking at 996's again.  However, the car was 30min aw

2 and  half hours in a Dogbus spec 51 plate 525 Touring down to Ashford in Kent today, then a trundle back at respectable pace in the new motor. As mentioned in the 'what have you bought' thread,

I stopped at the out of town retail place earlier in desperate need of the latest throw away electrical device (Gen 4 Apple TV), I drove there in my sorry excuse for a car (Outlandish Hybrid), on arri

Posted Images

rsv chris

Totally agree.

Keeping a vehicle for as long as possible should be encouraged with tax breaks and such forth. So much better for the Planet to run something for 30 years and not buy a new electric car every 10.

However the grinding wheels of corporate capitalism don't turn themselves, and share holders would get upset bless them. (and people who work in production factories :D)

• Like 8
barryj
8 minutes ago, bikemike said:

You got the Phev back then Barry?

I thought it had been written off?

Sadly the dealer repaired it, £7k in parts at trade price, I ran it by my body shop guy and he reckoned it would have been a £15-£18k repair at retail so likely written off in the real world.

kevin..in
jaycee

I was talking to dad-in-law last night about cars, given the Scenic fiasco, and we both miss the days when you could fix a car with a bx of spanners.

I'm trying* to convince the Mrs that an old classic would make more sense, as I could keep on top of things myself.

For instance, this would make great family wheels

* She's not buying it.

• Like 4
Versatile
3 minutes ago, jaycee said:

I was talking to dad-in-law last night about cars, given the Scenic fiasco, and we both miss the days when you could fix a car with a bx of spanners.

I'm trying* to convince the Mrs that an old classic would make more sense, as I could keep on top of things myself.

For instance, this would make great family wheels

* She's not buying it.

She doesn't have to.

You do.

I drive an old ish car and it's great to be able to fix it yourself.

What's the worst thing that can happen to that ?

It's certainly not going to protest if the battery is flat or have an annoying dash light which 'might' cost hundreds to put out.

If the engine lunches itself there's loads of stuff about which will go in. The engine bay is like a cathedral compared to anything less than 20 years old.

Edited by Versatile
  • Like 9
barryj

Although not in the same league of simplicity as the Granny, I called in to see how my friend was getting on cleaning the M3 ready for sale, I think I love it again. A throttle cable attached to a pedal at one end and six throttle bodies at the other....

A64FF3F9-3A15-4562-908D-8909F0F8CFC9_zps

5BDAF397-C2BA-41F2-A4E2-FA138B07C654_zps

• Like 7
ianl1201

Is that scrappage scheme still going? Totally alien concept to me as I've recently bought us a new car (to us) - lovely Disco 3 but ten years old. It'll be with us for a long time.

Also recently read an article about the old airfields full of cars turned in for scrappage and there was pictures of some seriously desirable and tidy motors. A real travesty.

Gobert23
5 minutes ago, ianl1201 said:

Is that scrappage scheme still going?

Dunno :eusa_think: I think that officially it's ended, but there's certainly a few manufacturers who're willing to pay over-book on a trade-in, to shift some new metal.

The sad thing about the scrappage scheme was the loss of some lovely ol' metal (my heart sank when I read the list of some of the things that were to be scrapped :( ) only to be replaced (most of the time) with some modern, Korean, identi-box :( 

• Like 4
Ray Von

I had one of these back in 2001, in purple with the 2.6 V6 lump in it, it was a cool looking car and still looks smart today, final edition 2.8 versions were lovely, heavy buggers but powerful, and my first quality car.

Audi

• Like 1
heds954

So, not content with talking to strange men off the internet who wear leather, you're now talking to strange men in car parks! :tacheemoticonwh7::D

Edited by heds954
Shpelink
  • Like 4
Bigspud

Slowly coming to a similar conclusion

My Vito will be completely paid for in about 6 months, although it's now 5 years old and 90k - it is shiny and loved, epically reliable and bloody handy.  Thinking about keeping it, and then getting something older / interesting to share the mileage - tidy it up and move it on after a little bit and trade up.  Middle aged performance stuff is appealing - large woofly petrol engines

With two vehicles (plus the good ladies) I can cope if something is broken without messing with work travel requirements

Elohesra
1 hour ago, barryj said:

I stopped at the out of town retail place earlier in desperate need of the latest throw away electrical device (Gen 4 Apple TV), I drove there in my sorry excuse for a car (Outlandish Hybrid), on arriving I spotted this:

01AB797E-6793-4154-9812-A9C07D5CF64B_zps

As there are clearly other parking spaces in the picture, I can't see why you got so excited about this one.

Hendo
37 minutes ago, barryj said:

Although not in the same league of simplicity as the Granny, I called in to see how my friend was getting on cleaning the M3 ready for sale, I think I love it again. A throttle cable attached to a pedal at one end and six throttle bodies at the other....

A64FF3F9-3A15-4562-908D-8909F0F8CFC9_zps

I fucking love and want this car.

• Like 1
couchcommando

Times have changed and I guess not for the better, I bought a 309gti in 1988 and kept it 11 years, only changed when I needed a van for my new business, last vehicle I ever kept for any length of time too, really liked that car

• Like 1
The rumpo kid

309 gti  !.. So much want , I had a 309 Sri as a company car , great fun ?

Damnthistinleg

The missus and I both have our 'forever' cars. Hers is a black 1992 Merc 300td estate, while mine is a 1992 Daihatsu Fourtrak. Both cars are utterly invincible and cost peanuts. I paid £250 for the Fourtrak 10 years ago!

I will add a nice, low mileage Volvo 850R estate one day.

• Like 8
The rumpo kid

I had my forever car and in a moment of stupidity I sold it ... What a prick ?

couchcommando

I had a new Corolla gt coupe in 1987, mk2 with electric sunroof, sold in 88 to fund a house purchase, I wince every time I see how much they fetch now, where are you D110VNN ?