Project Freetech

wazrs257

Further lightening occuring - wheels are now swapped for the even lighter mag ones, Honda RS125 size Technomagnesio front and PVM rear -

The pair are lighter than the Astralite rear on it's own. Front was a gamble off egay, picked up for beer money, had a slight ding. Waz had it straightened at Motoliner and then crack tested and refinished by TCPS. 

Also swapped the Bridgestone BT39s for a pair of Moto3 slicks

Should be on the way to under 80kgs wet now

Derbi%20Mag%20Wheels_zpsey14wyvp.jpg

• Like 7

On 1/24/2017 at 8:34 PM, ballbag said:

Looks awesome. I have a soft spot for these.

what sort of power do you expect it to make?

No idea really mate, some of the dutch disc valve freetechs are pushing 16hp but i think anything 12+ would be nice

Things are progressing nicely, bit of modding on the seat to lower it a bit going on at the moment, and Waz is aiming for some dyno time in February to get it set up before the first ACU test day in March

• 1 month later...

First official test tomorrow at 3 Sisters! Vans all loaded and ready to go.

Just an initial bedding in test and looking at the weather an opportunity to bed the new wets in :D

• Like 1

Right, I'm back in the room :ph34r: Yesterday didn't go quite as planned, I only completed half a dozen laps mainly due to the crap weather and being on brand new wets, but it was enough to tell me there's still work to do. Although it's running better, it's still not right, so a dyno session will be booked to address this, before the first round at the end of next month. Peak power seems fairly good, but there's very little go available before this, and not a lot of over rev either, which I hope can be sorted with work on the jetting and ignition map.

Edited by wazrs257
  • Like 3

For any one interested, this bike will be on the 'PDMCC Freetech' stand at the Manchester bike show next weekend. Stop by, say hi, have a nose! :D

Edited by wazrs257

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 18/03/2017 at 8:29 PM, wazrs257 said:

Right, I'm back in the room :ph34r: Yesterday didn't go quite as planned, I only completed half a dozen laps mainly due to the crap weather and being on brand new wets, but it was enough to tell me there's still work to do. Although it's running better, it's still not right, so a dyno session will be booked to address this, before the first round at the end of next month. Peak power seems fairly good, but there's very little go available before this, and not a lot of over rev either, which I hope can be sorted with work on the jetting and ignition map.

I would be looking at the pipe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another successful outing on Sunday at Mallory in the ACU 50cc Championship.

Effectively our most local round, a damp start to the day saw us heading for Mallory at a leisurely 7am, arrived and set up by 8 with Bacon sarnies following shortly after. The weather was initially grim with dark cloud and much spotting of rain drops.

Qualifying was a steady away affair on wets with laps around the 1.21 to 1.23 mark - which showed up an initial problem of a lack of available top end speed thanks to 3 sisters gearing.

Waz was flat out in top from the exit of Devils elbow, all the way down the straight, all the way round Gerard's and all the way to the entry of Edwina's.

Fortunately we managed to scrounge a 14T front sprocket which was duely fitted before race one.

Race one was still damp in places but with blue skies appearing the track was mainly dry - we elected to remain on wets as neither of us could be arsed to change the wheels. 

A full grid of 23/24 bikes, of both freetech and classic 50s, set off for 10 frenetic laps of Mallory Park - Waz had a right old dingdong with one of the other freetech lads swapping position almost every lap. A last gasp attempt at the hair pin saw Waz come out on top and finished the race in 9th! With a best lap of 1.16.690 - about 6 seconds quicker than qualifying.

Back in the paddock and with it now fully dry and the sun breaking through cloudy blue skies we set to and swapped to the slicks for race 2. The plug was checked and found to be spot on, if a little rich, which we put down to the bike running an air filter to keep the wet out.

As it was dry now and seemingly running on the safe side we also decided to ditch the air filter as well for race 2.

After a bit of wait race 2 was called and Waz set off for the holding area and out on to the grid on the outside of row 3 (first race place determining second race start position). Siting lap completed and they were off.

I was stood on the inside of the entry to the Esses and couldn't quite believe it when Mr #119 came through in 7th after a blinding start. 

Unfortunately the lack of top speed through gearing saw Waz drop a few places on the start finish straight and he settled into 11th with the leading pack a way ahead - the lad who Warren had been racing with in the first race was a way back down the grid so it was a fairly steady run round which saw Warren closing on 10th place in the latter stages.

So a 9th and an 11th overall for only it's second time out is a right royal result as far as I'm concerned and having done a quick top end strip to check the piston found that it's definitely rich there should be plenty more to come from the motor with some more tweaking,

Next round will be the ACU 50 championship again at Darley Moor on the 18th of June - the fate of 3 sister's seems to be on going and it seems PDMCC have cancelled round 2 of their championship.

The bonus of going to Darley Moor is it's another different circuit for another signature on Waz's license.

Hopefully before Darley Moor it'll be heading for the dyno to see what it's actually making and where it needs tweaking

:pb2:

• Like 6

A longer circuit seems to suit it better, and it never complained about being held flat out for a large percentage of 28 laps of Mallory park. Looking at the data from the Mychron dash, the temp was a steady 45-46 degrees.

DSCN0632.JPG

• 1 month later...

Missed the race report for Darley Moor

Quick version -

Relatively early start - Bike fell over in the van, no damage done though

Practice - Good, Qualified 11th i think

Race 1 - Very Good, finished 8th overall and 6th in the Freetech class - good drop in lap times from practice aswell

Race 2 - Not so Good, left hand rearset upper mounting bolt went awol after 3 laps which lead to not being able to change gear and unfortunately a DNF

Hey Ho, 6th in the first race saw Waz claim his first championship points of the year and more importantly another signature on his license.

Next up is Back to the PDMCC Freetech championship at the semi re opened 3 sisters. 

As I type Waz is loading the van and preparing to head north

Qualifying and 2 races (rd3) Saturday and then 2 further races (rd4) on Sunday

Next stop after that is Aberdare Park Road Races for the next round of the ACU championship -

Unfortunately Waz won't be riding as it's an event not open to newcomers but he's very kindly let one of the other racers who had an entry (but no ride) have his bike for the meeting.

We're hoping this will be a good test of the bike and with a different more experienced rider who can possibly show us areas for improvement.

• Like 3

Well that didn't go according to plan...

I'll let Mr Harvey explain in detail but the short version is, very quick first 3 laps in qualifying, which would have been 6th on the grid, followed by arse/elbow/track interface on lap 4

It's only slightly bent but it broke some bits that weren't readily available at the track so it was game over for the weekend

:(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd forgotten about this little bike build as I don't tend to come into this 2T chat forum much, its a little gem of a bike :thumbsup: well done chaps, any chance you can go back & replace the photo bucket pictures 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farmfab01 said:

I'd forgotten about this little bike build as I don't tend to come into this 2T chat forum much, its a little gem of a bike :thumbsup: well done chaps, any chance you can go back & replace the photo bucket pictures 

I'll have a look back through and see if i can find them all

Next round isn't til September so should have plenty of time to get it straight and for Waz's thumb to go back to normal size

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Thought i'd better do a bit of an update on this - the 2018 season has gone really quite well.

Waz has concentrated on the PDMCC 50 championship and done a few of the ACU 50cc rounds.

September has seen 2 good rounds, first 3 Sisters where he had a 3rd and a 4th in the GP class then Mallory for the ACU where he had a 2nd which resulted in a trophy!

44897066902_5357a00b6e_c.jpg

44945935031_4183d699cd_c.jpg

Mallory was also Waz's first race without the spectre of his divvy bib!

With one more round to go at 3 Sisters in a couple of weeks it's looking like he's secured 3rd overall in the PDMCC championship and joint 5th overall in the ACU championship

Bike has run pretty well all year with just a couple of small electrical issues, and a lunched balance shaft at Darley Moor.

Plans are afoot for some disc timing changes to try and give it some more usable revs but overall it's performed very nicely indeed

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 7