Project Freetech

wazrs257

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 7:54 PM, El Gringo said:

Probably, its was owned by a 16 y/o, his dad had maintained it to "F1" standard, whatever the fuck that means! (We all know what that means....) 

piss funny

show us some pics of the disc valve setup

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 9:53 AM, dannn said:

Ignitech is awesome for the functionality you get for the price. Works faultlessly on my RG500 including the quickshifter cut function.

+1 Ignitech is a great bit of kit

Can't wait to try the QS, just fitted one to my 443cc banshee engine mito. Seems to work well on the stand at least. Need some sun!!

3 hours ago, Yazza54 said:

piss funny

show us some pics of the disc valve setup

I'll see if Waz has any pics of it assembled.

Will definitely be having a play with the QS function once we've got it run up properly

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst Mr RS257 is off sunning himself on holiday, i've got the Derbi at my place to do a few of the fabrication bits.

12633474_776877482440087_148596185032532

Managed to lose just over a kilo off the subframe, with a bit more to go. 

Have made a fairing nose bracket that incorporates the battery, the Ignitech and a Mychron 4 rev counter/lap timer

I've also 'almost' managed to fit the old 80's Honda RS125 fairing we've got for it, it's not perfect but it'll do for now.

Will get some more pictures when it's a bit more respectable!

• Like 4

Done a little more to this

Fairing is 99% there, just needs a bit of fibre glassing. This is as close as i can reasonably get it, doesn't look too bad.

DSC_0293_zps3j5s4mwe.jpg

DSC_0297_zpsknwezbso.jpg

DSC_0295_zpsubf9n0oy.jpg

Couple of pics of the nose mount with battery, CDI and Clocks, Carbon bit will have the main and water pump switches mounted either side

DSC_0305_zpsxjlcggjr.jpg

DSC_0306_zpstunwlmrj.jpg

DSC_0317_zpsva4rvkot.jpg

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Quick update, Astralites now fitted, saved somewhere around 10kgs over the stock wheels

Bike is now upt' north having an expansion chamber made.

Getting pretty close now, wiring to tidy and other bits of tidying up.

Waz has also passed his ACU test with flying colours so it's all systems go ready for the first round in May

• Like 2

A big part of riding a small capacity bike is learning to use the brake as little as possible when you have to just caress   the lever otherwise you will curse for the rest of the lap. Looking good.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2016 at 11:50 PM, El Gringo said:

Big enough front disc?

Derbi%20Front_zpsf4ndpo5f.jpg

Eventually this'll be reduced in diameter to save a bit more weight

Rear Sprocket Side

Derbi%20Rear%20Sprocket_zpswr7yccow.jpg

Rear Disc Side

Derbi%20Rear%20Disc_zpsixh23taq.jpg

Aprillia RS250 296mm disc is the same pcd as that 320...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bit of an update, due to a delay in getting the pipe back we missed round 1, and it looks like we're going to miss round 2 as well.

It's just not come together as we'd hoped and has fought Waz at every point!

Currently it's back together and we're trying to get it to run, just a case of carburation we hope.

Looks a bit like this

13403840_10154314261163623_5871000203439

13415579_10154318528293623_6232468746575

13391400_10154315591153623_6340031361801

13458625_10154323966828623_5138803041258

13418833_10154315591353623_6629019230070

Once it's run up it's coming apart again as the swingarm bushes are goosed and so rusted they won't come out. Didn't find the play until after it all went together irritatingly!

Fingers crossed we're ready and fully tested for RD3

• Like 3

It's still fighting us!

Got it to fire and idle last night but it just refused to accept any throttle, i managed to coax it up to about 2600 rpm from a 2000 rpm idle on a couple of occasions but that was it.

We're thinking that the jetting is so far out it won't do anything, mixture screw doesn't make a jot of difference, full in or full out, needle position doesn't appear to make any difference either. Just can't get it to transition off the bottom.

Leaner pilot and leaner slide in the post so hopefully we should have a result soon enough. It's difficult when there's effectively no set up info!

I reckon this is my favourite bike on here.  And that includes the mighty unfinished TPPB!

I had a bit of a carry on getting my minimoto to fire after I made the engine for that.  I had it comparatively easy though as I used a Tillotson carb.

• Like 1

Result, we're back on track, running and revving up now, still a little rich and not clean off tick over so a leaner pilot is going in.

Fingers crossed that'll sort it, next up is the final strip down and try to remove the swingarm pin and bushes.

Round 3 is July the 10th (I think) so Waz should be good to go for then!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2016 at 11:38 AM, El Gringo said:

Result, we're back on track, running and revving up now, still a little rich and not clean off tick over so a leaner pilot is going in.

Would it not be better to leave it a little bit fat at the bottom to help cool things down? You're not going to be spending much time down there anyway!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Would it not be better to leave it a little bit fat at the bottom to help cool things down? You're not going to be spending much time down there anyway!

We actually ended up right back where we started on the jetting in the end. Had a full day on it on Sunday lock wiring and fitting the fairing etc.

Ready to go now!

If anyone is about, it's round 3 this Sunday at 3 Sisters, the van's booked and all being well we're there!

DSC_0146_zpsljgfnzog.jpg

DSC_0149_zpsl57f5rbw.jpg

DSC_0147_zpsu8k8kbq0.jpg

DSC_0148_zpsvmfpigpb.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Right, project Freetech has been banished to the naughty step, just can't get it to go right.

It's been put on the back burner til next season and Waz is going to have a proper go at it over the winter.

Instead the RS257 was extracted from the loft and is now in fine fettle ready for this Sunday and an outing in the Junior 500 (and probably the newcomers) with PDMCC up at 3 sisters

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Gringo said:

Right, project Freetech has been banished to the naughty step, just can't get it to go right.

It's been put on the back burner til next season and Waz is going to have a proper go at it over the winter.

Instead the RS257 was extracted from the loft and is now in fine fettle ready for this Sunday and an outing in the Junior 500 (and probably the newcomers) with PDMCC up at 3 sisters

I have probably saidit before but throw that Keihin shitter carby away and put a 28mm VHST dellorto on there. Keihins are not suited to rotary valve engines at all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2T Institue said:

I have probably saidit before but throw that Keihin shitter carby away and put a 28mm VHST dellorto on there. Keihins are not suited to rotary valve engines at all

Waz has gone with the Dellorto, just needs the final setting up

• 3 months later...

Right then, after a lot of head scratching, fucking about and almost arson, as of today it appears that young Waz has got it running AND riding under it's own steam.

Went for it's test run in this state but it went. I can't begin to tell you how relived I/We are that it's finally on the right track

New%20Years%20Eve_zpsccdeqocf.jpg

Current plan is to do all the PDMCC rounds where possible, on both the Freetech 50 and the RS257, Aberdare Park in the summer on the 50 and as many of the new ACU 50cc championship as possible so Waz can get rid of his divvy bib 

• Like 10