Project Freetech

wazrs257

We now have a matching front, and another 3.5kg saved! :icon_bounce: I also bought the sprocket carrier, rear disc and a 92 RS125 fairing. The guy has a proper Aladdins cave of old racing bits, I saw a really long rear shock and asked if it was a TZ one, turns out it was off a Morbidelli 125!

20680607073_37a7b99788_k.jpg

• Like 2

Well you can't have swarf anywhere near where bikes are being built! :thumbsup:

Not much of an update, but today I dropped the cases off to have the plugs welded into the inlets, they should be ready to collect on thursday/friday. Also. the crank's been split so I can rough out the diameters where the seals and disc drive nut sit, I'll then grind to finished size at work.

Yeah, I saw that Martin. I think I'm going to stick with the Derbi chassis for the moment, I've saved nearly 10kg with the wheels, so it shouldn'y be too bad to start with. I'd really like a Honda RS125 chassis, but it's down to waiting for one to turn up at the right price. In the mean time there's plenty to be getting on with, with the motor.

Edited by wazrs257

• 2 weeks later...

Well the inlet has now been plugged, so it's disc valve or bust! The blue dot on the side of the old inlet is where I'm going to place a fixing, to replace the one I had to remove in order to get the cylinder on reversed. I need to decide how much of the case to remove around the generator housing, as I'm not sure how much strength this area adds to the casings!

21058977323_fc183836e2_k.jpg

• Like 5

Well the inlet has now been plugged, so it's disc valve or bust! The blue dot on the side of the old inlet is where I'm going to place a fixing, to replace the one I had to remove in order to get the cylinder on reversed. I need to decide how much of the case to remove around the generator housing, as I'm not sure how much strength this area adds to the casings!

Awesome stuff!

So is this disc valve conversion something you have come up with yourself or a standard conversion people do ?

Dan :)

Awesome stuff!

So is this disc valve conversion something you have come up with yourself or a standard conversion people do ?

Dan :)

I've seen a couple pics of disc valve conversions on modern 50s, but not seen one in the flesh. The disc valve, drive nut and inlet rubber are off the shelf parts, usually used on Kreidlers, but everything else is of my own design. I've never done this conversion before, so it's a steep learning curve! The only reason I've had to weld the old inlet closed is because I want to run a reversed cylinder (so the exhaust is on the non thrust face) and this meant machining the inlet away. If I was running the cylinder the usual way round, I could have got away with just making a bolt in block to take up the space left by the reed block.

• Like 1

So, since last time I have added the last case fixing bolt, and attacked the case to give some room around the disc housing. The gearbox 'intrudes' in to the housing area, so I'll have to get creative with the back of the inner disc housing, but apart from that it should fit ok. The eagle eyed amongst you will notice the semi finished outer disc cover (just needs boring to fit the seal), and the fact that the cylinder doesn't sit on the cases. I still need to bore the mouth of the cases where the duct for the old 'boost port' was blocked up.

21679477400_caa967411f_k.jpg

The ignition should be arriving in the next week or so, then ElGringo can crack on with designing the wiring loom. The ignition features is a fully programable Ignitech CDI, which will also control the quick shifter. Luckily for me/my motor, it comes preloaded with a map suitable for a 50cc race bike, so I wont have to learn to program it from scratch in order to get it running! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Been working on the wires this afternoon boss.

Just a thought, can you lose the big bit of casting at the very bottom of the picture? I presume the starter motor hole?

The area around the starter mount is braced quite heavily, and I would say it adds strength, so for the moment I'll leave it.

The ignition should be arriving in the next week or so, then ElGringo can crack on with designing the wiring loom. The ignition features is a fully programable Ignitech CDI, which will also control the quick shifter. Luckily for me/my motor, it comes preloaded with a map suitable for a 50cc race bike, so I wont have to learn to program it from scratch in order to get it running! :thumbsup:

Ignitech is awesome for the functionality you get for the price. Works faultlessly on my RG500 including the quickshifter cut function.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update on this one, It's now up and running!

We're starting to look at the jetting and finalising the wiring loom etc.

Then it's on to changing the forks, fitting some bodywork and seeing where we can lose some more weight from it

Probably, its was owned by a 16 y/o, his dad had maintained it to "F1" standard, whatever the fuck that means! (We all know what that means....) 

Those wheels are only temporary, the astralites are on the list to be fitted

We were exceptionally happy when it fired up, i'll try and sort a video out

Edited by El Gringo