Project Freetech

wazrs257

Meet my latest project, it will be built to race in the PDMCC Freetech championship. The rules are fairly simple, as long as it's 50cc or below, has 3 to 6 gears, and is capable of passing scrutineering, it's eligable! (Full rules here: http://www.prestondmc.co.uk/regulations/freetech-50-regulations/ ). It's an 06 Derbi GPR50, but is fitted with an earlier euro2 engine (original euro3 motor supplied in about a million bits, dumped in the bottom of a box!). I threw a bucket of water over it in the hope that it would look a bit better when wet, I'm not sure it helped much!

20461881945_75983e34af_k.jpg

• Like 3

order yourself a few of those knock off KTM 50 cylinders ,convert it to disc valve, find a Dellorto PHSA 29mm carby , a good ignition and the straight through under seat pipe hello 20hp

All in good time Lozza. There should be a parcel on its way from Holland any time soon! :icon_bounce:

• Like 2

inspiration? maybe not the crazy helmet fins. Seems like a cool class though!

This chassis is really only for developing the motor, they're far too heavy to get down to a respectable weight. The top bikes seem to be using Honda RS125 rolling chassis, but I'd like to build a more 'classic' style bike.

can you get proper tyres in smaller than gp125 sizes?

I'm not sure you would need smaller than 125 sizes, the standard road tyres on this are 100 front and 130 rear (2.75" and 3.5" rims). The lower weight and speed may be an issue, but the top guys running Honda RS125 wheels don't seem to have any problems (they are bloody quick though!).

We have small capacity bike racing here on kart tracks with bikes between 50cc to 150cc, 80% use slicks on kart tracks and have no worries. Some run very low pressures though like 20psi

• Like 1

Not a lot to report at the moment, other than putting it on the scales. Using the scientific method of putting my bathroom scales under each wheel, and adding the two together, it comes in at 86kg, including a cast iron top end and the standard front pipe, but no fairing. I'm quite pleased with that, considering I was expecting 100kg. That still includes full wiring loom, switches, speedo drive etc, so still some weight to loose before I resort to cutting bits off! :eusa_think:

• Like 1

Again, not a lot to report this week. I'm waiting for the material to arrive so I can start machining the disc valve covers, and need to make a trip the the welders to have the reed valve inlet blocked off.

Here's a video of Lee Costello testing one of the Carbonfibre works Jawas, He's a quick lad! This bike will be for sale after the last round, as they are planning to build a carbon frame and swing arm for next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgNcah-ffOw&feature=youtu.be

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on the look out for a set of Honda RS125 wheels for a while now, but unless you're prepared to pay £600, there's not a lot available. So, on the way to the biggest all you can eat carvery, in the world, ever, I picked up this:

21002580599_496953454a_k.jpg

The matching front is available, heavily rashed, but the guy selling it was out and I dealt with his son. I'm waiting on a phone call to say I can have it for less than a round of drinks. The rear is 8.5kg, compared to the Derbi rears 13.5kg, so I'm happy so far! :)

• Like 2

It's almost like xmas today, the difference being, I got what I wanted! :beerchug:

First off we have (L to R) Van Veen replica inlet, disc drive nut and 1mm carbon disc valve.

21034173309_41eaf7bb0c_k.jpg

Next up is an EMOT prepared Bidalot cylinder kit.

21220989175_4934aba22d_k.jpg

And last but not least is EMOTs own head insert, with improved combustion chamber design and cooling, and four extra studs.

21221066195_b59d6ff312_k.jpg

Now I can finish off designing the disc valve housings, and start machining! :rock:

• Like 4