• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• barryj

• lorenzo

• srad34

• Flerbizky

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So started the ball rolling on Mrs P tonight. Sent her the ad for the FZR. "It looks like fucking Barbie's bike! Look, it's even got a pink handbag. Is this you coming out before the baby arrives

Posted Images

willbloke
35 minutes ago, phatboy said:

but doesn't look terribly well executed.....

That's the sort of understatement that the Military Commander made to the Mayor Of Hiroshima on noticing Enola Gay overhead ...

"you might want to cover your ears"

Edited by willbloke
Haddock
  • Like 3
kevin..in
3 hours ago, Tomfoolery said:

I predict bottom shock mount collapse approximately 40 seconds after riding off...

his response

I'm not convinced it will come back from a shake down run with both wheel still attached!

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the question. I assume you mean where the shocks mount to the swing arm. To answer, yes, I drilled through the swing arm. I then made a solid aluminium bosses that are the internal diameter of the arm and slightly greater than the width of the gap inside, so that there was a interference fit. I then pressed the alloy bosses up through the arm on each side through where the chain adjusters go to line up with the holes. I then mounted the shocks with high tensile bolts and tightened it all up under compression. I opted not to weld the bosses into the swing arm as this can heat stress the alloy. The sub frame has equally been strengthened to take the stress of the suspension. Hope this answers your question.
Regards. Mark

kevin..in
4 minutes ago, james_christ said:

I dunno if I could get it for the £50 it's currently at, it's an LDD contender.

in every way other than it isn't going to get to the end of the road without the back wheel getting all the wobbly and falling off is it?

• Like 1
Tomfoolery
2 hours ago, kevin..in said:

his response

I'm not convinced it will come back from a shake down run with both wheel still attached!

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the question. I assume you mean where the shocks mount to the swing arm. To answer, yes, I drilled through the swing arm. I then made a solid aluminium bosses that are the internal diameter of the arm and slightly greater than the width of the gap inside, so that there was a interference fit. I then pressed the alloy bosses up through the arm on each side through where the chain adjusters go to line up with the holes. I then mounted the shocks with high tensile bolts and tightened it all up under compression. I opted not to weld the bosses into the swing arm as this can heat stress the alloy. The sub frame has equally been strengthened to take the stress of the suspension. Hope this answers your question.
Regards. Mark

Holy shit.

• Like 1
DesmoEddy
2 hours ago, kevin..in said:

his response

Hi Kevin,

Regards. Mark

TBH it's the shock top mounts which worry me more...they seem to be bolted to the top of some unsupported tabs which are welded to a subframe not intended to take suspension loads.

• Like 3
kevin..in
6 minutes ago, DesmoEddy said:

TBH it's the shock top mounts which worry me more...they seem to be bolted to the top of some unsupported tabs which are welded to a subframe not intended to take suspension loads.

wouldn't  want to ride it, this chap doesn't understand what he is doing and as already has been said "Who MOT'd that"!

Edited by kevin..in
srad34
9 hours ago, tanuki said:

Its not a CBR swing arm.

Fo sho, its a NC21 arm innit

srad34
4 hours ago, kevin..in said:

wouldn't  want to ride it, this chap doesn't understand what he is doing and as already has been said "Who MOT'd that"!

The builder has no clue, maybe just cause he's an engineer he thinks his skills are limitless, for sure he knows fuck all about building a bike! - Maybe he distracted the MOT tester with his other mecanno creations? 

I pointed out that surely as an 'engineer' he had figured that the bottom shock mounts will act as levers trying to twist the hollow box swinger. As his mounts are interference fit this would then oval meaning no more 'interference'

his response is

'' Hi, To answer your question.Yes I have drilled through the swing arm box section on each side of the arm. I then made aluminium interference spacers to press up into the box section. I made them so that once they are in place, they cannot move up or down. I did this in preference to welding to avoid the issue of heat treatment or normalising issues with the swing arm following any welding. The twin shocks are then clamped tight onto the plugged box section arm on each side. The shocks have a rubber bush in each bottom eye to take into account any minimal rotation that takes place when the suspension depresses. The thing with twin shock is that it doesn't have as much suspension travel as a mono shock, so you don't get any real rotation in the bottom mounts. Hope this answers you question. Regards. Mark ''

who knew

• Like 1
kevin..in

Now I have some certificates that I could use to claim status as an engineer (they are all old that the parchment they were scribed on are crumbling) I would not be building such a crappy thought out heap and attempting to pass it on as "well engineered!

His responses to questions demonstrate that he in a fucking engineering know nothing.

That swing arm is dangerous and should not be used. Bike is only worth what it's engine will fetch rest is scrap

• Like 2
barryj
12 hours ago, Tomfoolery said:

I've also just noticed the top mounts of the shocks.  By my (limited) engineering knowledge, I'd guess that it's totally fucked up.  The force put on the shock mount is only acting on half the mount, same as the bottom, where only the bottom of the box-section is supporting it?

I'd also worry about how sealed that fuel tank filler cap is.  Looks like it just slides open...?

He's gone full retard, but let's be honest, it's never been ridden.

Edited by barryj
Tomfoolery
7 hours ago, barryj said:

He's gone full retard, but let's be honest, it's never been ridden.

I'm not surprised, I'd be terrified just sitting on it. 

Never go full retard. 

• Like 1
kevin..in
1 minute ago, Alpinestarhero said:

That's the wedding anniversary gift for my wife sorted

are you often worried about her scraping it on tarmac?

Jenny Pryde

That 400 Honda is up to nearly a grand now, with 22 bids! Someone should really inform Ebay that it is an uninsurable death-trap. Even if the conversion was structurally sound, what sort of lunatic fits springs from a 90s twin shock 750 to a considerably lighter 400? 

lorenzo
9 minutes ago, Jenny Pryde said:

what sort of lunatic fits springs from a 90s twin shock 750 to a considerably lighter 400? 

Chubsters?

• Like 3
motoTrooper

Before you know it, insurers are gonna be red marking these "Ninja" things as dangerous liabilities...

Tony Nitrous

Make that 4. Just found out a local guy I know has bought another crashed one too. 

lorenzo

There's not many things you can do to make it more ugly, but he's managed it.

That exhaust can looks, erm, flavoursome too, doesn't it?!

Edited by lorenzo
barryj
2 hours ago, Tony Nitrous said:

Make that 4. Just found out a local guy I know has bought another crashed one too. 

So do you think there is something inherently wrong with them? Or are they bought by people who's ambition out weights their talent?

• Like 2