Aprilia Rs125/tuono Thing

noely02

well this is what i'm having to put up with, left is headlight on, you can just make out the barrel on the right, middle is the main beam on, and right is headlight on front view, so people can see me, but i cant see where i'm going.

HEADLIGHTCOMPARISON_zps91e24dd2.png

Edited by noely02

well i have my cheapy multimeter, a can of electrical contact cleaner, printed off wiring diagram to find for bad earth's, and 2 lots of instructions, 1 for headlight testing and 1 for taking the headlight apart, hopefully i'll have better lighting after the weekend.

had this arrive from Germany today

20141031_142901_zps45899cb1.jpg

it has all the extra brackets for the bodywork that the regular rs doesn't, it's a little rusty and bent, but my big hammer, bead blaster and pain will sort it.

• Like 1

the planned attack on the headlight over the weekend didn't happen, 1st Saturday off in ages so did some family stuff, and Sunday was 4hrs in a&e, hot cooking oil and arm interface by other half :( , then it rained, then rained a lot, so i cooked Sunday dinner and waited for guy martin to come on.

have put the 100w bulb in, has made a little difference but not enough, so i'm still using high beam to see where i'm going, definitely, definitely doing it this weekend!

last couple of days the bike has been making odd noises, sort of a deep honk when pulling away and when on closed throttle slowing down, sort of sounded like the airbox had come off a little.

figured the filter could do with a clean too and when i took of the top of the box this greeted me.

20141104_101616_zps69d0f3e1.jpg

Mix of both, but more water than oil.

Cleaned it out and washed and dried the filter, started it up and was still making an odd noise, so on my knees having a look and noticed oil around the exhaust manifold by the head, gave the bolts a try with the allen key, both needed about a 1/4 turn to tighten up.

Well I suppose nothing has fallen off in a while....

Edited by noely02

back to my lighting problem, looking over the wiring diagrams i have there's supposed to be an earth, a blue wire if i've read it correctly, coming from the lighting circuit. i've found a blue wire coming out of the loom, but its been put to the -ve side of the battery, is this right, if not where should it go, will anywhere on the frame do?

i've posted in the wanted section, the genuine fake carbon fibre Chinese bargain indicators i got don't like the English weather, they've faded, the lenses have gone very brittle, fill up with condensation and dirt, and also have some obscure bulb in them, so i need some o.e.m. ones, shame really.

headlight solved, well i think, not been out in the dark yet.

spent a good part of saturday dismantling the headllight, jesus what a job, pry a bit, cut with Stanley knife, pry a bit more, pull, stab finger with screwdriver, repeat for an hour or so till lens is off.

20141108_185038_zps86832277.jpg

the instructions i found online were crap, next step said, "remove lens from 4 tabs" er nope you can't, after pondering this for another hour while pulling, prodding and swearing i went with un screwing the 2 screws on the back of the body and the lens assembly popped off.

i think i can see the problem.

20141108_201149_zpsfbaf7c28.jpg

20141108_202013_zps7ce9558f.jpg

1 tab broken and the reflective silver has burnt away.

luckily at work we have some silver tape that's used to line cryostat's so i "borrowed" some and stuck it in the reflector, i'ts not brilliant but its a lot better than before.

20141109_103044_zps13f77dd2.jpg

so re assembled and glued back together and back on the bike, just got to have a ride in the dark now to see how better it is.

That would explain the black hole of Calcutta effect.....Id be checking the wiring to see if you can work how the bulb burnt out so bad in the past or do you think its an age issue?

i'd say age related, if it is the original its 21 rears old now :o

and the verdict on the new light.......better but still poor, you can now actually see a spread of light on the road but its 2 glow worms in a jar instead of 1 :(

tried the nightbreaker before i sorted the reflector, when that bulb didn't work i got an osram superbright 12v 100w off road.

20141113_082408_zps89fb6038.jpg

do the l.e.d. strips throw out a lot of light?

as i said the headlight is still poor but bearable, I'm still using main beam as my headlight down the black as a black thing at night lanes i have to do down to reach the dual carriageway, still haven't had anyone flash me (ooh err!) because I'm blinding them.

next step is h.i.d. which i could of bought with what I've already spent on the fancy osram bulbs. a friend is fitting a set into his alfa as mentioned in one of my posts before, if he says they're good I'll get some of the same.

when i had it all apart i gave it a good clean, evicted the spiders and so on, the lens itself is in quite good condition, no scratches or misting.

• Like 1

mate pointed this out to me, sprockets on the right side, think it will fit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Husqvarna-1986-Wr400-2-stroke-Engine-And-Bits-/261661931606?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3cec443856

Husqvarna 1986 Wr400 2-stroke Engine And Bits

Edited by noely02

shoehorning a massive motor into a 125 is a massive job if your going to do it properly.

if you want more power, get a rotax 128/129 disc valve motor (pretty much bolts straight in) a big carb and adapt a superkart pipe to fit.

That would be a bloody weapon

i've been keeping an eye on the 257's that have appeared on ebay, when sold they usually turn up on various forums, pb included, and have not been the bolt in and use as suggested, usually because the engine is not as described and needing expensive and/or hard to obtain bits.

discussing this amongst some friends who motocross about the aprillias sprocket issue for engine swaps i was told older crossers, ktm, husky ect, were the same and a quick look on ebay turned up the engine posted above.

another old forum post suggested these too:

95-00 ATK 250-260 (Rotax)

83-85 Can-Am 250 (Rotax engine?)

??-09 Husqvarna 250 and 300

??-09 Maico 250-680

Praga ED250

un known years KTM 250-550

81-82 Honda CR 250

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/689699-bikes-with-chain-and-sprockets-on-the-right-hand-side/

its not an issue of fabricating engine mounts and modifying bits, or really the money, well sort of (guestimate 257 motor + custom exhaust = £1000ish) its that i think the 257's out there are getting shonkyer and pricyer, or i'll end up paying £1000's for a genuine good one.

http://shop.strato.de/epages/61281730.sf/en_GB/?ViewAction=Monitor&GUID=Store6-546DB46F-B1AB-B6EC-A5AF-C0A82BBA79FD

so i'm looking at other alternatives

Edited by noely02

There's a thread on here where somebody fitted a Ktm lc4 engine, was a very neat job and didn't look overly complicated, pegasso 650 engine goes in too but that's a bit more tricky as the carbs foul the tank. Couple more options for you but both big thumping 4 strokes.