Aprilia Rs125/tuono Thing

noely02

split the cases I am afraid

the leak is caused by the bearing going - too tight a chain ?

or with luck its just overfilled and wont be a problem - the overflow/breather

fits into the chain cover and adds oil to the front sprocket . If its just a few drops it

could be this....

crap

i know i haven't over filled it, used a measuring cylinder to do it, I'll have a look at the chain, I'll have a read up on how to do the bearings.

it has now become my work transport till probably October don't want to take it off the road unless i really have to.

got round to putting my genuine fake copy tuono mirrors, so now i can check that my elbows haven't fallen off during the night :biggrinvk4:

I've gone through a couple of tanks of fuel now, and using my gcse maths i reckon its doing between 36-39 mpg, is this right?

well whatever doubts i had of dodgy Italian electrics, old mis matched tyres and my spannering have been put to rest.

after riding to work in the sort of weather you would expect to see Noah out in, the little bugger ran without fault, was very sure footed and shrugged it all off, thunder, lightning, rain so hard i'm surprised i haven't got tinnitus, 3ft deep standing and running water not a problem.

just hope all my gear is some sort of dry for the trip home

jump back a couple of days, on my way home i'm chasing round the lanes one of the local yoofs on his wr125, i'm getting a little annoyed how he's gapping me on initial acceleration, i'm catching him but not as fast i would expect, anyway after he does a suicidal 2 car overtake on a blind bend i let him go, the road only goes to 1 place and i'll catch him on the dual carriage way, which i do and calmly sail past.

after him diving round as pulling up to a junction, then following him for a little, apparently standing on the pegs like your doing the dakar is the in thing here, me still getting left on the traffic light gp we go in different directions me pondering where my lost bhp is, or i need to loose 3 stone.....

looking over the bike i see that the rave solenoid is all the way in, start the bile and blip the throttle and its not doing its cleaning cycle, balls :iconthumbsdownkq8:

taking the blade out i see the cable has come away and looking at the blade its all worn and broke where the end sits

20140729_101037_zpsfeed88ab.jpg

Least it looks a simple fix, maybe even some chemical metal/dab of weld as a temp fix?

• Like 1

it rarely works - any fix to a broken pv

it destroys the £20 aprilia spec cable too

usual failure is caused by being adjusted to tight - the valve stops abruptly

and the momentum of the solernoid breaks the valve or cable

• Like 1

don't suppose you have a proper set up guide for the valve, the ones i have from the manuals is a little vague, don't want to break any other parts

Edited by noely02

well having rode it with the valve down i looked into fixing it up to see what the difference would be.

a 2mm screw and some jb weld later

20140729_170707_zpsb155f5d8.jpg

20140729_170725_zps7983514c.jpg

bit of plate with a tapped hole in it and more loctite later

20140729_171204_zpsf76fc74f.jpg

well there definitely was a difference, nothing, nothing, nothing and 8000rpm........................waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! 11000rpm change gear :rock:

pulling away isn't too bad but if its no where near 8000rpm its awful.

so i'm hunting for a new blade but not in too much of a rush cos i'm off on holiday for 3 weeks soon and the price of a blade is a fair few drinks :biggrinvk4:

and in the usual fashion something else had to go wrong, i think the speedo drive is on its way out, needle jumping all over the place then decided no matter how fast i was going i'm doing 40mph, with the l.c.d.display not working, the rev counter telling me stuff when it feel like i'm considering ditching the clocks and making my own, bicycle speedo, after market rev and temp, couple of the idiot lights from the original clocks in a nice ally case maybe..............

or even something like this:

http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/trail-tech-motorcycle-digital-speedos/trail-tech-vapor-vector-speedo-indicators.html?gclid=CLaBlNLk7L8CFeSWtAod-CkA6Q

Edited by noely02
  • Like 1

well there definitely was a difference, nothing, nothing, nothing and 8000rpm........................waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! 11000rpm change gear :rock:

pulling away isn't too bad but if its no where near 8000rpm its awful.

so i'm hunting for a new blade but not in too much of a rush cos i'm off on holiday for 3 weeks soon and the price of a blade is a fair few drinks :biggrinvk4:

and in the usual fashion something else had to go wrong, i think the speedo drive is on its way out, needle jumping all over the place then decided no matter how fast i was going i'm doing 40mph, with the l.c.d.display not working, the rev counter telling me stuff when it feel like i'm considering ditching the clocks and making my own, bicycle speedo, after market rev and temp, couple of the idiot lights from the original clocks in a nice ally case maybe..............

or even something like this:

http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/trail-tech-motorcycle-digital-speedos/trail-tech-vapor-vector-speedo-indicators.html?gclid=CLaBlNLk7L8CFeSWtAod-CkA6Q

What clip is the needle on? Try dropping it a clip (ie leaning it out) to clean the stumble up :)

thanks for the info rs, i've printed it off ready for the new blade.

as for the needle clip, not a clue, its quite easy to get at so i'll have a look during my lunch break.

got the needle out, was on this position

20140730_131048_zps8a378ffa.jpg

so moved it to this position

20140730_131505_zps7c95f176.jpg

the needle is very shiny part way up, so i'm thinking its a little worn which isn't helping.

put it all back and start er up, and it wont tick over, stood there for a few mins warming it up and still wont idle, and the idle screw has no effect, wound it all the way in and it just ticks over.

• Like 1

did the commute with the needle in the new position, 32 miles, and my bum dyno says it has filled the mid range out a little and not taken much off the top, the engine note seems deeper as if the engine is labouring, but one thing that seems to happen, after about 3/4 of the journey the engine again seems to get more sensitive to gear and revs and where before it would sit happy in 6th on the dual carriage way keeping up with traffic, now i'm having to give it death in 5th and only changing to 6th if i'm following something or on a slight downwards incline.

:eusa_think:

did the commute with the needle in the new position, 32 miles, and my bum dyno says it has filled the mid range out a little and not taken much off the top, the engine note seems deeper as if the engine is labouring, but one thing that seems to happen, after about 3/4 of the journey the engine again seems to get more sensitive to gear and revs and where before it would sit happy in 6th on the dual carriage way keeping up with traffic, now i'm having to give it death in 5th and only changing to 6th if i'm following something or on a slight downwards incline.

:eusa_think:

Put the needle back to where it was if it's not as good as before, or try it on the bottom clip position. They're not fixed once you've moved them and one person's 'right' might be another's 'expensive rebuild'.

my thoughts exactly, i'm putting back as it was just to be safe.

so my parts list so far for after my holiday stands at:

power valve blade

speedo drive

piston/ring set

carb service, new seals, needle, check the jets ect and proper set up

what would you recommend for a bike, jetting wise, it is cdi and exhaust de restricted and have the power valve working properly on the 28mm carb with the standard airbox and filter?

mate came in on his 900ss, "i've parked my red one next to your pink one" think i need go break out the autoglym :biggrinvk4:

looking at them side by side, either the tuono is a big little bike or the duke is a little big bike

20140731_100618_zps07c8fc85.jpg

20140731_100632_zps5719e539.jpg

what is it with this bike!!!

changed the needle back to what it was, noticed there is a groove worn in the bottom of the throttle slide so that's why the idle adjuster doesn't work, everything on and noticed this.

20140731_132625_zps3a8185f9.jpg

good job i've been checking the oil level every time i have the seat off, well that's twice a day sometimes, and not waiting for the light to come on.

bit of digging, bit of soldering and some blue stuff later, sorted.

20140731_172553_zpsbb2ad039.jpg

• Like 1

ride home last night with the needle back was the usual keep it in 4th or 5th and pinned as before, but coming into work this morning it was still flat below 7000 but it was holding 9000 in 6th and willing to pull more if needed, just happens that its the coolest morning I've had here for a while.

i was really enjoying it, thinking if it ran like this through the rev range all the time it would be a blast.

so i know i'm going to do a top end overhaul, but with the carb and the slide being damaged and unknown jetting i'm debating getting another carb to overhaul so at least i know it right and do a swap when its done, i know i really should get a 34mm on it but i can't justify the spend at the moment, so anyone got a phbh 28 lying spare i could have?

Edited by noely02

gearing, for some reason its running 17/41 sprockets, from what i've googled standard is 16/39, and best all round for de restricted is 16/40

any thoughts?

It depends what you want really, you're never going to be breaking any speed records on it so why not gear it be comfortable where you use it most? I've got a spare PHBH28 on a new intake rubber :)

edit- but 34mm ftw

Edited by Kayla

well as far as the gearing goes i want it to have half decent acceleration and be able to sit at 70 - 80 with a bit of overtaking poke, well if that's possible for a 125, i'm not fussed about it doing 100+

it's just odd that when i googled for rs125 gearing combinations, the sprockets that i've got wasn't mentioned.

i had a play with this:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/misc/SpeedCalc.html

using some settings i found in the 125sportsbikes.com site

2.4375 (16/39 GEARING)

that gives flat out 109mph for standard gearing, or if i've used it properly 110mph for my gearing

well i guess its been behaving well for too long, so today, 1 fairing bolt, 1 exhaust nut and the horn bracket made a bid for freedom

20140806_101036_zps0328a734.jpg