Aprilia Rs125/tuono Thing

noely02

me and my big mouth!

exhaust on, won't start, horn now doesn't work and for the life of me i can't bleed the back brake....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll be checking the basics this afternoon, plug, fuses, fuel and so on, i got to e battery on charge to give it a top up too.

Underslung rear brake?......take it off the bracket and bleed it the right way. Did you catch the horn wire taking the pipe off?

Still no joy, good spark, fuel getting through, all fuses ok, still won't start, didn't check the horn wiring got fed up with the bike not starting and went home.

Only thing I changed that could affect the starting is the exhaust, but even when the old one was on and not properly seated and full of holes it reluctantly fired up

well after another afternoon of trying to start the bike, myself and a few workmates had a blue sky thinking brainstorming session, run a few things up the flagpole blah blah blah............

spark strong

exhaust good

could only be fuel, it is fresh ish, a few months old and when i put it in the tank was virtually empty, so i decided to drain the tank from the tap to see what come out

20140707_172332_zpse2a91e55.jpg

:wtfmore:

i put a gallon in, and i would say 85% was still in, but it didn't look the right colour, and about 1/3rd of it was the darker stuff.

also when i spilled a little while aiming for the jug, what hit the floor didn't evaporate like i would expect petrol to.

so water has got in, weather here has been mostly scorchio with the odd shower, and the bike is covered, so how the hell it get in?

ethanol absorbs water from the atmosphere - some fuels have 10% now....

ethanol eats plastic brass copper and aluminium

the oil companies don't like telling how much of this shit they put in the fuel - and

change their mixtures without notice - allegerderly shell vpower contains no ethanol

well mot is booked for tomorrow, so i thought i'd have a little tinker time, wired in the neutral light, stuck on the number plate, and as the clutch was dragging a little, adjust it with my newly purchased adjusting spanner

so what am i doing wrong, followed the instructions, slacken off at lever, un do nut, screw in adjuster all the way then back off half turn, do back up, adjust lever......and its made it worse!!

if anything it feels like its working in reverse!

HeLp! :eusa_wall:

problem solved, well i hope.....

found a how to on 125sportsbikes.com saying you don't do the centre screw all the way in, just till you feel a bit of back pressure, then do up the lock nut, seems to have worked

well the 16 mile shakedown ride to the mot station was interesting to say the least, slightly damp on tyres i'm not 100% confident in....

impressions:

damn its noisy

the suspension is really stiff, forks i can live with but the rear shock has hardly any movement, or its been swapped for one off a zxr750

front brake needs a bit of a pull but works really well

i thought it was deceptively quick till i realised i was reading the kph :facepalm:

it really vibrates, i mean REALLY, vibration white finger ahoy! and the vibes around the crotch area are amusing/annoying

the handling is odd to me, but my last bike (gpz1100s) was in the supertanker league of handling

the engine did run on a bit to start with , and hold revs at standstill, but it had virtually sorted itself by the time i got to the mot station

acceleration is sedate, dunno what i was expecting, guessing it could do with a proper set up to get a bit more zing

need to fit some mirrors

rev counter has mind of its own, reads properly 0 to 6000, then seems to sit at 7000 whatever the engine is doing, then jumps to 10000

doesn't feel like a small bike, and checking myself out in shop windows (like you do) i don't look too daft either

sat ok at 70mph but couldn't get used to it doing 9000rpm

so dropped it into the mot station and crossed everything

fail :mad:

apparently the rear brake light has a mind of its own depending that lights are on or lever is pulled, is being investigated.

rear wheel bearings have too much play in them, i thought they were ok after i stripped cleaned and re packed them with grease, but they're not too expensive to replace.

couple of advisories, swingarm bearing got a little play in them and the headstock bearing feel a bit notchy, i didn't notice anything, but then i did think the handling was a little odd compare to what i was used to.

the vibration is playing in the back of my head, am going to check that the balance shaft has is aligned correctly, is there anything else it could be?

the i haven't touched or looked a the internals of the engine so it is an un known quantity

well its been dragged kicking and screaming through its m.o.t, collecting it this afternoon, be interesting to see what the electrical gremlin was

• Like 1

it was a corroded connector somewhere in the rear light cluster.

1st time I've used this shop, s.b.s. motorcycles, am quite happy with there work, part of the rear brake problem was the push rod being too small for some reason, and instead of what i would usually expect from a "franchised" dealer (mate you need a new master cylinder, and lever, and we charge £5 for new bolts each.....) they actually made a new one the right length from a bolt, yes MADE a new one.

asked one of the mechanics if they did much on 2 strokes, "what 2 stroke aprilias, did my apprenticeship in them mate, 7 years main dealer" so I'm definitely going there if a have any problems i can't solve.

oh and the joy of the 1st work commute, especially filtering past all the cars i usually get stuck behind for 15mins and only 1 bolt of the front mudguard decided it didn't want to be part of the bike any more so in all I'm taking it as a win :biggrinvk4:

little tweaking today, got to adjust the handlebars a bit as the position is killing my wrists, and break out the loctite 577 on the mudguard bolts.

• Like 2

carbonation question:

when the engine is stone cold, it fires up 1st time, but when the engine is warm, as in its been sitting in the sunshine all day, it takes a quite a while for it to start up, any ideas?

one thing i have noticed it the tick over adjuster doesn't have any affect, i can turn it full either way and it ticks over at around 1200rpm.

i have checked the oil pump with this tick over and the set-up lines are in line.

when the engine is stone cold, it fires up 1st time, but when the engine is warm, as in its been sitting in the sunshine all day, it takes a quite a while for it to start up, any ideas?

...that sounds like it's running rich - air filter clogged up, choke sticking on, non standard jetting?

ok, it's got a new filter, don't think the choke is sticking on, and haven't a clue about the jetting, when i had the carb apart i just blasted everything with carb cleaner till it was all shiny inside.

so if the top end is worn, is that new piston, rings ect ,is it worth me doing a compression test?

ok, it's got a new filter, don't think the choke is sticking on, and haven't a clue about the jetting, when i had the carb apart i just blasted everything with carb cleaner till it was all shiny inside.

so if the top end is worn, is that new piston, rings ect ,is it worth me doing a compression test?

New rings at a minimum, but if you can afford it just do the whole lot and be done with it if you don't know when (if ever) if was last done. It might not be worn but my first TZR250 exhibited the same sort of symptoms and the top ends were really worn out. It was a steep and expensive lesson, that one... It felt really fit afterwards though :lol:

Well either I've fixed it or just hidden the symptoms.

Found a set up for the air screw and idle screw pn google (little screw thing and big screw thing on carb?) Started 1st time in the scorcho car park after work and seems to be running better.

Ring and piston kits aren't too expensive so I'll flog a few bits on fleabay and get one.

Bits fallen off bike today, nothing going to work, 1 nut going home, just happened to be one of the ones holding the gear rod, ended up doing about 8 miles in 3rd gear, mucho slipping of the clutch, glad I put fresh oil in!

couple of days of commuting and nothing else has fell of, guess by putting that in print something definitely will now :biggrinvk4:

seems like the more miles I'm putting on the bike the better its getting, the engine seems to be more willing, well as long as i keep it above 7000ish, and either I'm getting used to the vibes, or they're going away.

one thing i have noticed is that the front brake line is rubbing against the rad under braking so i'm going to make a guide to keep it away, and on the subject of brakes, the front has bedded in brilliantly now, and the weak point in me getting the bike stopped quicker is my arms!

i'm really enjoying riding it, something addictive about having to dance around the gears keeping it in the power and chasing down whatever is in front of me :D

• Like 1

i knew i should have kept my mouth shut...........

well nothing has fallen off, but it has started to leak what I'm guessing is gearbox oil from around the front sprocket, so again I'm guessing a seal has gone somewhere, anyone had this, is it easy to fix?