Aprilia Rs125/tuono Thing

noely02

Could a 250 trials engine be modified so it would be useful in a sports bike?

......................standard it would be a great flexable motor for commuting or something, or remove the flywheel and get out the 'bastard' file and go to town..............as usual please note none of my thoughts should see the light of day
  • Like 1

well if/when the big engine goes in, it would be my transport for work, well when the weather is fair to good anyway, and i'm not wussing out!

the roads to where i work are the perfect mix of town, dual carrigeway and manx type country lanes, but if the weather is a little iffy they're lethal, standing water in places you don't expect, black ice, wildlife strolling around, slow school busses, bin wagons on blind bends and numptys usually in big german cars or x 4 x's who haven't a clue how to drive them.... :angry:

anyway suppose i should do a little more in how the bikes going instead of daydream spending my overtime money on engines....ho hum...

my method of fixing the bike may seem a little random, after looking it over there's so much to sort, nothing big but lots of little things, so the 1st thing(s) that jump out an annoy me get done 1st.

after starting the bike i couldn't ride it around the car-park at work because of the foot controls, the cable ties, billet foot peg, 1 hanger broken and the fact there was 3 random sizes bolts jammed into the hangers.

tuono7_zps9a551d57.jpg

Edited by noely02

the replacement hanger i got was a little bent and when i tried to straighten it a few cracks appeared, so i put some weld prep in, welded it, cleaned it up and a little polish, doesn't look too bad i think.

tuono14_zps6361c059.jpg

tuono15_zps72c1b7ab.jpg

20140204_100542_zps5fb40d80.jpg

:eusa_wall: that figures!!

i did put an ad in the wanted on here in august for some bits, hey if anyone has any bits they think may help i'll give a reasonable price

:eusa_wall: that figures!!

i did put an ad in the wanted on here in august for some bits, hey if anyone has any bits they think may help i'll give a reasonable price

Ooops, didn't see your ad! I'll have a look in the loft and let you know.

• Like 1

You should have asked, I've got a set of standard footrests in the loft that I'm never going to use!

you might want to feed those people and change there duct tape while your up there Waz
  • Like 2

schoolboy error time!

got myself a new power-valve lead from pjme, in my excitement i threw out the old lead not realising i need the rubber cap for the blade end, DOH!

anyone got one lying around, i don't fancy paying £13-£15 for a new one

I shall have a dig through my spares when I'm next in the garage for you. My race bike has a power valve blank fitted but did come with a power valve set up in the spares box. Is the rubber really needed or does it just stop water and general crap getting into the cable? If so I'm sure you could seal it up some how

• Like 1

thanks, it look like its supposed to stop whatever from getting to the cable and blade, if all else fails i'll pack any orifices with grease and gaffer tape round it, maybe try to heat shrink it.

thanks, it look like its supposed to stop whatever from getting to the cable and blade, if all else fails i'll pack any orifices with grease and gaffer tape round it, maybe try to heat shrink it.

Dont put any grease on any of it leave it dry as the grease will just make a mess when it gets hot from the engine. your heat shrink idea will probably serve you best.

engine, for now just want to get it running so i can use the bike, save a few pennies and wait till i can afford a 257, frame well i'm going to stick with the one i have, going to measure up and make a bracket for the one that doesn't fit underneath.

85mph wind 1, aprilia 0

couple of the guys who were in work over the weekend picked it up for me, can see why it happened, the side stand is near vertical so a half decent fart would of sent it over!

damage found is just the reservoir holder bent, but it has given me an excuse to strip the front brakes down

20140217_100006_zps2def2742.jpg

Edited by noely02

ok, looking at the side stand on my bike and comparing it to the ones on ebay they look quite different, with in mind how my bike is a mix of different years, are there year specific stands?

for now i've just taken a lump hammer to mine and bent it to a better angle

again in no particular order, the brake and clutch lever were pattern ones, one was genuine Chinese imitation carbon fibre jobbie, well 15 mins in the bead blaster later......

tuono20_zps3b11b66f.jpg

tuono21_zpsd2cb9136.jpg

• Like 1

the brake and gear levers were a bit flappy too, took them apart and had a quick measure, there was 0.5 - 0.6 clearance due to wear.

tuono22_zpsba06d845.jpg

tuono23_zps6bb866ee.jpg

tuono24_zps4e4d42ea.jpg

could have purchased new bolts and bushes, instead i "borrowed" some phosphor bronze bar from the stores, few mins on the lathe and 1 pair of bespoke bushes done.

20140121_111517_zpsad554c52.jpg

• Like 2

has anyone had any experience over boring carburettors?

i know ideally i need the 34mm but as funds are tight at the moment, and i have access to machinery, was wondering if i could take the standard carb out a mm or so.

took the leaky exhaust off, took the end can to bits, the internals were ok, bit coked up and the packing seemed new, but the end where its bolted to the exhaust was broken, and oddly only has 2 fixing screws where most i have seen have 3.

tuono16_zpsb035749c.jpg

while i was cleaning up the rest of the can, and ordered a new gasket, one of my colleagues, (thanks mark!) turned up a new end cap for me, press fitted the perforated tube back in, and found me a new o ring.

tuono17_zps11afe5be.jpg

looking at the rest of the exhaust i need to give it a de coke, find out where its leaking and weld up, but/make a hanger for the can, and buy/ make the hanger that goes under the bike.

Edited by noely02

got the brake calipers off, looking a bit un loved...

20140217_102411_zps18a2a386.jpg

20140217_102357_zps6b28c412.jpg

came apart quite easily, and looking at them not as bad as i thought, bit rusty and 1 of the dust seals had split, most things cleaned up quite well. ill be replacing all the seals anyway, good job wemoto is only a few mins away.

master cylinder is ok after a clean too, and i'll get a service kit for that too.

20140217_114745_zps2340df0e.jpg

another trip to the bead blaster and a couple of coats of paint later

20140331_091233_zpsdd611f6b.jpg

and then re assembled with the seals suitably greased and nice new cap head bolts

20140331_165704_zpsb5a09981.jpg

Edited by noely02

• 2 weeks later...

managed to get a very nice side stand, so good in fact a friend suggested i needed to kick it around the car park for a few hours so it matches the rest of the bike..............

20140308_100605_zps76a59a9f.jpg

it does make the bike sit at a more reasonable angle, and i found another bodge/modification, looks like one of the previous owners decided to bypass the side stand switch, not sure if i want to re connect it as i know they can be a bit flakey.

20140313_130105_zps43a1c45c.jpg

decided to get on with he front end, forks off and get the front tyre changed.20140314_151204_zps957208d3.jpg

forks came apart quite easily, and look in good condition, but there wasn't a lot of oil in them, there's supposed to be 430ml in each leg and i reckon there wasn't that much in both combined, was they not filled correctly or is it leaky seals? well I'm putting in new seals anyway, and unless anyone can advise better I'll be putting in 15w oil, aprilia recommend 7-10w but I'm not a skinny 8 stone 17yr old.

20140315_075128_zps2c2512c3.jpg

Edited by noely02
  • Like 1