Aprilia Rs125/tuono Thing

noely02

hi all,

a few months ago i picked up this little jem off fleabay, and i'm slowly repairing the previous 7 owners bodges, was wondering do i post it in here as its a stroker, or in the your bike and project bit?

Edited by noely02
  • Like 1

ok, i'll get started

little history 1st, kiddie bought the bike of a neighbour as a fix er upper then realised it was too much for him to do, got put under a tarp in the garden and forgot about for a year ish, mummy got fed up with it being there and said "do something with it or i'm putting it on ebay", got a "meh you wouldn't" so she did.

it was advertised by its reg number and a couple of pics, i wasn't looking for one really but put a bid of max £250 tinking worst thing i could flog it for parts, soooooo £214 later its mine.

borrow the works van and pick it up, it was parked on the road next to a couple of tatty rs125, quick once over, yep, bit of a pup but not as bad as i thought, renthal bars and arrow can, bonus!

while sorting paperwork and money with the mother, who turns out spends most of the summer touring europe with hubby on their pan, kiddie sulks out the door with a box of bits, including the rest of the plastics "suppose you better have this too mate"

drop it to work, d lock it to the bike shed and go home

• Like 1

yep, certainly looks like it, apart from the rear sub frame.

the official ones were made between 2003 to 2005, but this is where it gets interesting, according to the logbook, mine was made in 1996, but not registered on the road till 1999, and somewhere along the line it has had the tuono conversion.

i found out about the sub frame difference when i got a new seat to replace the tatty one on the bike, and it didn't fit, and then stripped the rear properly to see why.

its part de restricted, got the solenoid, little black box under the seat with ducati in it, but still got the 28mm carb, which is odd cos ones of this year were supposed to have the 34mm carb, guessing one of the owners flogged it or something. oh and the rave cable is broke, the blade moves ok though and so does the solenoid, tested it using the battery and some cables.

Edited by noely02

right, trickle charged the battery over night and tried to start it, after a few tries it fired up!

tuono11_zps052a04cc.jpg

Edited by noely02
  • Like 2

the engine sounds crisp, smoked a bit but i guess it had been standing for a bit, let it tick over for a bit then blipped it, revs rise well bit took ages to settle down.

so out came the air filter, looked a bit grubby so i decided to give it a wash, sprayed a bit of de greaser on it, turned on the tap, put filter under the tap, and the filter dissolved and went down the plug hole!!

athena replacement ordered of that well known internet auction site..................

also while the engine was running i noticed the exhaust was leaking, from loads of places, header, which has been welded at some point, looks like it has split along the bottom of the chamber, and also split around the end can.

Edited by noely02

can anyone advise me on engine mounts?

while stripping it down i noticed the top mount that goes onto the rear of the head has had extensions about 15mm long welded onto it and a load of washers filling in the gaps, the rear mount through the swing arm is ok and the mounts at the front by the rad are in line too, but underneath there is a half assed bit of metal bolted from the frame to the engine, where this is look like something should go.

tuono25_zpsd4fac0b5.jpg

the engine does have a mitaka head on it but i wouldn't think this would make a difference.

quick google, looks like 123 engine in 122 frame, kinda makes sense, guess the original engine went pop and a later engine put in, also explains why the bike is de restricted but the 34mm carb has gone :iconthumbsdownkq8:

Edited by noely02

Thats an early frame known as a 123 rotax engine frame, Thats got a late type 122 rotax engine in it. you can tell as the bottom mount in your picture doesnt point upwards like the 122 frames do. which probably explains the year that it was made and registered.

Edited by MentalMito

Not really, at least you'll know which model to order parts for now. Having said that, in 20 years time when the current 17 year olds are in their late 30s and want to recreate their youth, it might be worth slightly less not having matching frame and engine numbers! :P

• Like 1

so is this going to cause me any problems?

It may cause a few as that engine mounting looks pretty poor. Your best bet if you ask me would be to try and pick up a 122 frame on ebay and move everything across.

i do agree on the 257, but 1st i just want to get it road worthy and have a little fun giving it death everywhere!

I've had a look around, there's a scorpa one that's been on ebay for a while, and the karting web sites I've found seem a little out of date or are asking stupid money for them, so if any one has one lying around who wants to let it go for mates rates.................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181314793516?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661#ht_485wt_1142 This one's been listed a few times now and no bids, so may be worth a cheeky email to buy it privately for less. Your biggest expense with a 257 conversion will be a properly designed exhaust.

The Scorpa is a trials bike with a totally different top end, so it wont produce anything like the power of a kart or Alfer/ATK motor.