Harris Performance R7 (R71)

Firehawk

Photos:

https://picasaweb.go.../HarrisR7Build#

Yes, being built by a Yank. :)

Started my build back in January 2011. I've owned an R1/R7 replica and an R7 during the last 10 years, but always wanted to build a Harris. Found this example with Lordlee, and talked him into selling it to me. According to Lester Harris, they produced eight R71 frames. I know of one chassis undergoing restoration, and I've seen other frames for sale. Would love to find the owners of the other frames at some point.

Here's the details to date:

1) Frame was designed to hold a 4XV carbed R1 motor, but decided to use a 5PW fuel-injected version. Had new engine plates made to hold it.

2) Headwork done by Tim Radley, Race Developments. Has YEC cams, valves, springs. Motor work was done by Lee's Performance, North Carolina, with CE pistons, Carillo rods, balanced crank, and ceramic bearings. Other bits include full Akrapovic Ti Evo 2 with Ladybird can, YEC ECU/harness, and 2D logging system. Planning to run Motec at some point. Heard a few tricks about GSXR dual-injector throttle bodies on R1 motors...

3) Forks came from Stobart Honda BSB. Version is FG267, with 51/56mm body. Because of the unique size, had to make triple clamps from scratch. Shock is BSB-spec TTX Ohlins from a CBR1000RR. Wheels are OW-01 Marchesini, with Brembo brake bits.

4) Tail was produced by a private source in the UK. Instead of a typical R1 or R7 tail, wanted something special. Tail is M1, with same dimensions as the 2009 bike. Required considerable fitting, still needs support brackets and other bits. Upper/lower is Sebimoto R7.

5) Considerable help from Paul and his amazing machine work. Custom parts to date: triple clamps, engine plates, rear disc carrier, rear disc adapter, steering stem, radiator support brackets, front brake distribution block, rear wheel spacers, front wheel guides, rear caliper hanger. Thank you for the help, Paul. Couldn't have done it without you.

Next big hurdle is going to be fitting an airbox. After three tries, found a true kit R7 race radiator with a slot for the air scoop. However, because of the R1 motor and space under the R7 tank, going to need a custom airbox. Found a knock-off YZF-750 YEC box, hoping it fits. Waiting for it to arrive. No real reason for this build, other than it makes me happy. Had to sell all my bikes several years ago (economy, short battle with cancer), so it's a comeback, of sorts.

Mark...when you coming over to take her for a spin? ;)

By the way, here's pics of my old R71. Started life as a 1998 R1, became an R7 replica in 2004. Crashed at a trackday in 2007 (during my fourth month of chemo!). Rebuilt using a factory-fresh 2001 frame. Parted her in 2008.

https://picasaweb.google.com/118190960492960744007/YamahaR1R7Replica#

img7900nj.jpg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good build , I only dont like flat black, but all parts

and bike as it self are greats.

Could You make a sound clip, few years ago You upload

great vid with Mivv GP on youtube.

marcaztls
Mark...when you coming over to take her for a spin? ;)

Just getting my coat on mate.

I've been in on this build from day one and trust me guys, Mark's not listed a fraction of the parts, time or effort that's gone into getting it this far. It's a true credit to him.

Superdunc

Found your Picsaweb site a few weeks ago. I love this bike, it had me bidding on all sorts of completly trashed R1 "projects" on ebay for a couple of weeks.

Stunning.

That is already (love the flat black factory testing look) and will be when it's done, a stunner! I remember the R7/1 you built a while back, gorgeous bike too!

Beanerno1

This bike is probably one of the best I've seen from this ere shire, just been going through the pics, all parts sourced appropriate and purposeful, I'm sure it'll ride better than it looks.. How loud is that exhaust? It looks somewhere between fucking loud and nosebleed loud..

How loud is that exhaust? It looks somewhere between fucking loud and nosebleed loud..

She hasn't been fired yet, virgin motor. Need to sort the airbox first, then string electronics. Not a shred of wiring on the bike yet.

Archived